What's new

Wonderful PerformanCe with Windows 10

I see that your screenshot was in Tablet mode, @theveterans. Now I'm wondering if Tablet mode uses more power. I would have expected that it uses less, so just wondering...

It's just Microsoft Edge is more CPU extensive than MetroIE because of advert since MetroIE uses TPLs. Edge is a RAM hogger as well. Also, Windows 10 consumes more RAM due to Auto Updates and Cortana unlike Windows 8.1. I've turned both of them off so it's closer to 8.1's CPU efficiency.

Zippy0n

How does one add a search tile to windows 10? I know in Cortana you can search through your pc but id like to have a specific place to click on...

Other thing, is there a way to add "this pc" or again a search bar/button just above "all apps, power and settings" on the bottom left of the start menu?

Cheers

MagicPoop

How does one add a search tile to windows 10? I know in Cortana you can search through your pc but id like to have a specific place to click on...

Cheers

I don't know exactly what you're referring to but simply pressing the Windows key and typing away does the search.

As for the second part... maybe you want something like this?:

Screenshot (1).png Screenshot (2).png

Zippy0n

Yeah I found those settings, only problem is there isn't an option for "This PC". Shame W10 is pretty good so far

Yeah I found those settings, only problem is there isn't an option for "This PC". Shame W10 is pretty good so far

You could try this as a work-around. Right-click "This PC" under File Explorer, and click "Pin to Start". Then put that "This PC" tile close to the bottom left of the Start menu, so when you click on the Windows logo, it is just to the right of the "Power" button.

Zippy0n

Good idea, to solve this problem I did exactly what you said but pin it to the taskbar instead, its there 24/7 and just how I like it.

Dave

CrippsCorner

I'd say performance is pretty much the same on both Windows 8 & 10 really... however there are a couple of a annoyances with Windows 10, which is boot time (especially when resetting) is at least 20 seconds longer than it was on Windows 8 :( and also the damn fans are always running, meaning the Surface must be running a bit harder.