What's new

Worth it or not

Heavy Metal

Is the 512 worth it or 256?

Was thinking of the 512 but now thinking of the 256 and get an external 1Tb ssd instead for it

Cannot see spending $500.00 for an extra 256gb not worth it to me what do you think?

As far as I see no difference in 512 vs 256 other than and extra 256 gb

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Is the 512 worth it or 256?
Was thinking of the 512 but now thinking of the 256 and get an external 1Tb ssd instead for it
Cannot see spending $500.00 for an extra 256gb not worth it to me what do you think?
As far as I see no difference in 512 vs 256 other than and extra 256 gb

I have the SP2 256 and keep my "Documents" on a 64GB Micro SD. The 256 is plenty big for software. I am a geophysicist and tax this machine heavily with workstation software, which is, of course, installed on C:\ . My media totals 92 GB. Right now, I have 60 GB free on the SSD and 150 GB free on the SP2. Your 1TB SSD solution is a good one, since it probably wouldn't be needed most of the time.

OP
H

Heavy Metal

I have converted a lot of my dvd's and bluray's into avi's @300 movies. And before others chime in on this I have the originals just makes it nice to view when nothing on the boob tube. Or power goes off for hours

I figured the 1Tb ssd would take less power also than a traditional hard drive can put quite a few ssd's on at once and still not carry as much juice to run them vs maybe 2 or 3 hd's and your taxing the USB port

Oh and you will be surprised how much you use up ripping dvd's bluray's ect

jollywombat

No difference other than the SSD capacity between the 256/512gb models, checked this when I was considering mine.

A 1TB ssd....., someone is shelling out some money for this :) While I agree on the power draw typically being less for SSD's as a benefit, if this is just being used for blueray storage, why bother with the expense of an SSD versus a mechanical drive that more than meets the bandwidth requirements of ripped blueray streaming? (Jealous of being able to drop money on massive sdd is what it comes down to :) )

OP
H

Heavy Metal

A samsung 840 or crucial m500 is under $550.00

The upside is that can take it with you way lighter than a conventional and not many conventional ones that are pocket 2.5" portables are not 7200 rpm or better.

But I agree cheaper @140 for a 2Tb one vs ssd 1gb one.

Last edited:

demandarin

Get the 256gb version then buy external portable Hard drive. I got a Toshiba canvio one, 1.5tb for only like $50-60bucks from a sale at radioshack. Works great. Its USB 3.0 also.

OP
H

Heavy Metal

Why spend $500.00 more for only 256gb when you can get a 1tb samsung 840 ssd or a crucial 960 for @$500.00.

Or a regular hard drive for under $200.00 depending on size.

BrianM

With my old Surface Pro, I carried a 1TB hard drive. However, with the single USB port it frequently caused problems when I wanted to use other items.

The main reason I went with the SP2 was to get the 512Gb. After I loaded all my data, I was right at 256GB used and I wanted to have plenty of room to grow.

scfoster

Do you think 128 GB is enough?

Went to BB yesterday and they did not have either the 256 or 512 models; only 128 was available. Picked that up as I wanted to get started evaluating whether this will work for me. I have a MacBook Air with 240GB of the 512GB drive. Granted with all the storage space, I've been pretty sloppy with cleaning up files.

The BB rep assured me I can return the unit up through Jan 14th for any reason with no restocking fee.

I'm also thinking about the doubling of RAM.

Thoughts?