Solved Advice for a new owner

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by madtablet, Sep 23, 2014.

1. madtablet

madtablet New Member

Hi everyone,

Long timer lurker here. I bought an i5 128gb Surface pro 3 yesterday after much deliberation. I love the device but I was very worried about quality control.

Anyway, took the plunge and the device is great other than a small speck of dust under the screen. Not very noticeablen and it's not a big problem for me. Only thing I worry about is whether I should demand perfection from a device at this price point. I don't want to feel like I've been taken for a ride.

What would you do?

2. ctitanic

ctitanic Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Welcome aboard! If you don't feel happy exchange it. That's what I would do.

3. madtablet

madtablet New Member

Thanks. That's good advice. I appreciate this is a difficult (and hopefully not inappropriate) question, but I'm wondering whether I should be okay with it in an objective sense if it's a very minor defect. For example, it would affect my decision if someone said "you're an idiot if you don't take it back". Otherwise, I can live with it because nothing in the world is ever perfect and I'm just glad that, so far, it has no major issues.

4. Kris

Kris Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I demand perfection at this price point, saying that beware how many times you return it. I had 4 very defective ones I bought from Best Buy and they banned me from the store on the fourth return and I had to fight to get my money back. I just ordered from Costco, I5/128 hoping to be happy with it because I know for a fact they don't care how many times you return a product.

5. mennogreg

mennogreg Active Member

If it truly is a speck of dust (and not a minor scratch, for example), I would return it in exchange for a new one. If for whatever reason you cannot return it and instead have to go through MS for an exchange, you would have to weight keeping and living with it instead of dealing with a refurbished model that may have issues of its own.

6. madtablet

madtablet New Member

7. ctitanic

My Device:
    SPro3
    Kris likes this.
  8. wynand32

wynand32 Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Personally, dust under a screen drives me absolutely crazy (as do stuck/dead pixels). Once I see it, I can't unsee it.

But a bigger issue might be, why is there dust? Did it get there during assembly, or is there a flaw that might let more dust get in? I'd exchange it while still within the return period...

ctitanic likes this.
  9. malberttoo

malberttoo Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    You may as well return it. At this point the problem is going to be that you won't be able to un-see it, and will always be thinking about it. Might as well just get something that you can fully enjoy without any tiny doubts or regrets in the back of your mind.

Also, welcome to the forum!

10. madtablet

madtablet New Member

Thanks everyone. This has a good ending. I went back to the store. Manager looked at it and said he could feel it on the surface. He managed to polish it off with a lint cloth. Said it was some kind of excess glue - probably from the manufacturing process. I was embarrased but relieved.

Let me know if I need to start a new topic for this - how do you install updates without having to tell windows to reboot each time an update is installed, when there are further updates available?

11. ctitanic

My Device:
    SPro3
    agree.

12. ctitanic

My Device:
    SPro3
    I'm glad that it was not dust.

about your question, simple put, you can't avoid restarts in certain updates, that is just the way it is.