What's new

Better processor and graphics

Should the next generation Surface have graphics/processor or should it be upgradeable

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macmee

It is impossible to have a modern discrete graphics card in the dimensions of the SP3. It would be too large, require too much cooling and reduce battery life too much.

The SP3 already heats to an alarming rate. The real bottleneck here is Intel who are playing catchup.

i think the3 docking station should have a spot for a GPU. so when docked it can be MACHO. just a pipe dream

There's likely a critical path limitation here. Thunderbolt 2 for instance has transfer speeds of 20gbps, whereas to run a typical modern graphics card properly you need something like 128gbps. Doing that externally with the SP3 would be limited to the maximum speeds of USB 3 which is only something like 12gbps, which is far too slow unfortunately.

This is a tablet, keep that in mind when you realise no one else is doing anything remotely like this and this is a thin device, you make anything user upgradable and it will end up huge and heavy. So no I think it should be as with most things keeping up with technology of the time I have a i7/512 and I find it does anything I expect.

If I wanna game then I use my desktop rig i7-4770 and AMD 7990

surfdock

If someone could do it I believe they would have, that they haven't says they can't.

Broadwell Core-M 4.5w scores 50439 on 3D mark.
Can you point to an AMD solution that delivers in 4.5w to 10w package.

You're right, Broadwell is fantastic! I'm eagerly awaiting 20mm parts from AMD - hopefully we'll see something before 2015.