What's new

Dropped my baby in water

Kif

Post and references removed.

At first I thought people were commenting on my post. I didn't intend to suggest anything nefarious. :)

As a thought you might be able to strike a deal with Surface support where you purchase MS complete and they'll replace your machine once you pay the accidental damage fee. Wayback when I worked retail (Gateway computers) we did some similar kinds on things for customer satisfaction purposes.

Last edited:

annabanana

OP, I'm sorry to hear that. I agree with the rice advice, for at least 48 hours. I'd go 72 if it were me. I hope it works for you.

goodintentions

Just for my information, what a moisture indicator is made of and how does it work ?
There are many different kinds. But generally, they turn to a certain color and can't be turned back after contact with certain level of moisture. These are placed at strategic places through out the device.

Unless you somehow get to all of these indicators inside the device, you won't be able to fake it.

Back when I worked as a repair tech, I found many designed booby traps that manufacturers use to know the device has been opened.

Trust me, manufacturers are well aware of all the tricks out there.

RémiM

I learnt something. I naively didnt know that moisture indicators were used inside electronics. Thank you for the information.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Side story:
I spilled coffee on a new Vaio laptop in 2001. I called Sony and confessed immediately. They took note, asked me to send it in to a service center, and then called me after receiving it. They stated that because I told the truth, rather than be out $1,800, they would charge me $150 plus shipping to completely replace the device. That is when they told me about all the water damage indicators throughout the device, and how often they get customers denying that they were the cause.

Sony treated me very well. So did my concience.

CrippsCorner

Do you home contents insurance? I know mine will cover this, thus why I never buy versions companies offer themselves... I'm covered for any item up to the value of £1,500 inside or outside my house, even abroad!

Nuspieds

I've replaced it. If the other starts working again, that'll be great, but for now I've got another.
Congrats and glad to hear that you're up and running again! :)

I can understand how you must have felt and feel now, but try to mark the episode as one of life's unfortunate accidents because you can't beat yourself up on it forever. Hindsight is 20-20 so if you have no history of such type of accidents, it's perfectly understandable why you wouldn't normally gravitate to buying the extended warranty.

Extended warranty or not, certainly make sure that you have a good backup process in place so that you can always recover and restart with no/minimal loss of data on a different device.