What's new

Dropped my baby in water

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about this.

Put the computer inside a linen pillowcase, then the pillowcase and lots of rice in a tied plastic bag. Wait two days.
I have rescued computers (Vaio and Acer Laptops) and phones (Blackberry and iPhone) this way. I am a klutz.

nipponham

To the OP: I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Just hearing about something like that happening gives me the shivers! And not to kick you while you're down, but turning it on without making sure it's absolutely bone dry is the worst thing you could do after a water dip. My advice to you at this stage would be to leave it to air dry for about a week, as a last ditch effort. If you have some those desiccant packets that come with packaged foods, even better. Put your device into a sealable bag like a Ziplock along with those packets to save a day or two in time.

To those suggesting rice to dry out electronics: I understand you see this advice all over the internet with many people claiming that it works, but rice does not have that kind of drying power. Those who claimed it saved their device would have had the same result had they left rice out of the equation. Admittedly, if you live in a very humid climate the rice would help keep the relative humidity in the immediate area comparatively low, but even then the drying effect would be miniscule, (if measurable).

In a best case scenario, rice will have no plus/minus effect on your machine. In a worst case scenario, broken rice grains and husk dust get inside the exposed ports and vents and make what would have been just a drying issue, into a foreign contamination issue. If you use mineral/vitamin enriched rice, it's even worse...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
To those suggesting rice to dry out electronics: I understand you see this advice all over the internet with many people claiming that it works, but rice does not have that kind of drying power. Those who claimed it saved their device would have had the same result had they left rice out of the equation. Admittedly, if you live in a very humid climate the rice would help keep the relative humidity in the immediate area comparatively low, but even then the drying effect would be miniscule, (if measurable).

In a best case scenario, rice will have no plus/minus effect on your machine. In a worst case scenario, broken rice grains and husk dust get inside the exposed ports and vents and make what would have been just a drying issue, into a foreign contamination issue. If you use mineral/vitamin enriched rice, it's even worse...
I will humbly disagree with your assessment of using dry rice....

I've used it many times, the US Air Force has used the technique at least since the Korean Conflict (my dad was one of their Electronic Engineers for over 50 years)....even Popular Mechanics recommends it....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/4269047

nipponham

People put wet devices into rice because that's what they heard and get it to turn again, thinking rice is the saviour, thereby mistaking correlation with causation. Sure, put it in rice and the machine might work again. But not using rice works just as well, if not better;)

Kif

So sorry about your Surface. My mom killed an iPad by spilling laundry detergent on it.

I think CR or someone did a test between using Rice, air dry or special drying material. The end result was that air dry either as well or better than the other methods.

Call up MS and see what they can do for you. Or take it to a MS store.

Good luck!

VickiFL

I respectfully disagree. They will never fall for that. If it were me, I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

nipponham

Terrible suggestion. As goodintentions has mentioned, there are both exposed and concealed moisture indicators in modern electronics to look for exactly this kind of fraud. But even without these measures, it speaks volumes about the character of people who perpetrate and/or condone this.

Full disclosure grumpy: I've reported your post for advocating fraud.

grumpy

Microsoft's own support tactics are less than honourable and my suggestion would be a small step in balancing the karmic scales. There is nothing to be gained by taking the so called "high road".