What's new

Frayed Charger Cord (Solution found)

MickeyLittle

My charger cord for my SP3 is frayed and the light actually flashes slowly whenever it is plugged into an outlet and not charging my tablet. I am going to use some electrical tape on it to cover the exposed wires but does anyone thing this could be a safety issue? What about an issue for the SP3? Thanks.

Attachments

• Surface Pro Charger.jpg
    Surface Pro Charger.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,395

kundas1

mine did the same thing, just contact MS and they will send you a new one in no time....

olimjj

My charger cord for my SP3 is frayed and the light actually flashes slowly whenever it is plugged into an outlet and not charging my tablet. I am going to use some electrical tape on it to cover the exposed wires but does anyone thing this could be a safety issue? What about an issue for the SP3? Thanks.
From your photo it does not seem that this would be a hazard as long as the interior insulation is still intact. Try if you can to push the exposed wire back into the head if possible. Then use a small narrow piece of electrical tape to seal the juncture. Finally put on a short sleeve of shrink tubing, heat and you should be good to go.

olimjj

Thanks for the ideas but Tim the Tool Man I'm not. So electrical tape is about my limit of repairs.
You can buy a small package of precut shrink tubing (inexpensive) at a hardware store or online. You can use a hairdryer, match, lighter etc. to do the shrinking. Not a difficult endeavor.

Last edited:

malberttoo

I doubt they will for me since I bought mine used a couple weeks ago on eBay.

I'm guessing they will. The SP3 has a 1-year warranty, which includes the power brick. It was only released in June, so it hasn't been a year yet.

Besides this is a serious safety issue. I would be surprised if they didn't replace it.

Call Surface support and see what they say.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Repeating from above ... Push, push, push it back in there... then tape and seal with heat shrink... Hurry, you can still get it at Radio Shack before they go out of business. you need to get a two inch long piece that's big enough diameter to fit over the cable head. If you take your charger in with you there's a better than even chance the geek on hand will fix it for you on the spot. :)

kundas1

first try contacting MS and see, you have nothing to lose and a new adapter to gain! lol

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Just got off the phone with MS Support and they are sending me a new charger! You guys were correct! And yes I did tell them that I purchased this SP3 on eBay. They registered it for me under my account and now it is under warranty until 06/23/2015. I had no idea you could do this on a 2nd hand purchase like this.
Thanks Everyone!

olimjj

Just got off the phone with MS Support and they are sending me a new charger! You guys were correct! And yes I did tell them that I purchased this SP3 on eBay. They registered it for me under my account and now it is under warranty until 06/23/2015. I had no idea you could do this on a 2nd hand purchase like this.
Thanks Everyone!
That's great. I assume you dont have to return the original. If that is the case, you can refurb it as described in earlier posts and use it, if necessary, as a spare.