What's new

Frayed Charging Cable

Chopperdog

I purchased a new Surface Book for Christmas. Now, 4 months later, the charging cable is frayed and needs to be replaced. After an hour on support chat I was told that the only way they will replace it is if I send it in to them. How am I supposed to use the computer in the meantime? Is there a cheap charger on eBay? I can't find it if there is. Has anyone else had this problem? I hate to rant but this is exactly why I didn't want to buy a MS product, customer service has always been poor.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

I'm surprised by Microsoft's response. I've had nothing g but great experiences with their customer service. I had an issue with a charger and they popped a new one in the post no questions asked, no proof requested.

I suggest you try again (I've no idea why it took you an hour, I've never needed more than 5 minutes to have a replacement on the way). Just tell them it is faulty, that the machine is critical to your work, and that you need a replacement and can't justify being without the thing for even a day.

There should be plenty of chargers online, at least i know there are dozens of OEM ones for the surface pro. One of those might work, give it a Google. Hopefully they are compatible but just charge slower. Dont take my word for it though