What's new

Guide: All About Battery Life

Philo

May I know what are you guys getting from design & full capacity report? does mine look normal?
DESIGN CAPACITY42,157 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY43,062 mWh

Design Capacity doesn't always mean its the correct mWh in the battery, some battery will have more some will have less. It's all a gamble but thats the average of what the battery should have. Your lucky to have 1,000 more :) so be happy!

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

battery_gp.JPG

sdreamer

I think one of the most important tips is, "just use your device." If you're constantly watching that battery meter dropping, that is time you could have been using instead, that is stress you are creating. Checking with Battery Report, some days are reporting over 9 hours (almost 10) and one day is under 6, and a couple are about 6-7ish. It really depends on what you do to cause it to drain faster, so you can't keep checking that meter to see what happened.
A couple things though. Windows 8's Modern side is much more efficient as apps will tombstone if not used and will only use approved background APIs, thus it's managed pretty well. Think of being able to play music through the music app, but not having the app even open really, thus you're not use a lot of cpu cycles on keep the app open, just the api stream it needs to do its job. The big guzzlers besides brightness and what has been said are the desktop programs. Since those do not tie into the newer APIs they function essentially like they did in Windows before. Windows 7 was better at it, it would use less memory for minimized programs, but regardless, Windows needs to use more to keep the entire program running while its opened, unlike what it would do to the Modern UI side which it just needs to keep the APIs running instead of the apps. I think if you use mainly the ModernUI side you'll see that Windows 8 will run better on battery life, but if you're constantly on the desktop you'll probably see more of a hit, which is what I've been seeing with my usage (Citrix desktop vs Citrix ModernUI). One of the main reasons I can't wait to get Office in the Modern UI, then I'd have almost no need for the desktop (until a professional quality ModernUI art app comes around). At least that's how I've understood the impact of power draw on Windows 8.
Regarding the battery sizes, yeah the Macs have larger batteries, but you need to realize they are able to achieve this because of how they custom designed the boards for their devices. It was really something to initially see that the inside is almost completely taken up by battery. Whereas on the Surface Pro, it still seems like design inside could be better, whereas Apple's products really are machined well for it that it's almost like art.

I just did a quick test for video playback with my brightness at about 35% and made sure no other processes were running but the video player (VLC). I have a 6.3 GB .mkv file on my SP3, ran it for 10 minutes and the battery level dropped 4%. I then put the SP3 in airplane mode and in 10 minutes it again dropped 4% so it looks like I will get just over 4 hrs of video playback with nothing else running; that seems pretty bad to me. I have an i7 256GB model, any ideas of things I should look at to improve my battery life? I have a trip coming up next month and I read it's rated for about 7 hours of video playback so I was a little disappointed with my results. Does the file size of the video affect the battery life? It never occurred to me and I wouldn't think it would but who knows, it's an HD copy of a football game. Thanks for any suggestions/recommendations you may have!

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

VLC desktop? The Metro version should get better battery life. Also, if you are going to run the test, Just let it run. 3% is nothing.

Sassi

VLC Metro doesn't have very good reviews on the store. I was going to install it as I like it on my other devices but it sounds like it needs more work.

Yes it was the desktop version, I'll have to try the Metro version and see how it does. Next time I'll let it run for say 2 hours but 4% in 10 minutes seemed like a lot. If I can't seem to get better than 4 hours then I may just bring my iPad along as well just for movies on the plane.