What's new

Has the surface totally replaced your tablet?

wynand32

I no longer use my Nexus 10 (Android seems SO clunky after using Win 8.1 on a tablet for awhile), but I still use my Dell Venue 8 Pro. Sometimes I like using a smaller tablet when I'm lying in bed, but that's becoming less and less often (using a smaller tablet, not lying in bed). Really, the SP3 is so darn nice as a tablet that I'm quickly growing used to it--and it's so light that I don't notice much of a difference.

Although I will add: I sometimes find myself conscious of the fact that the SP3 is a $1200 tablet that I'm carrying around, vs. the Venue 8 Pro being a $250 tablet. That does color my usage a bit when I read stuff and watch videos while eating by myself...

cdf3

Still use my iPad and Android tablets, but I don't use them as much as I used to. I'm mostly on the SP3 now.

dougpaw57

I've had an RT, original Pro, Pro 2, and now a Pro 3. The Pro 3 replaced my Pro 2, the Dell Venue Pro I got in February replaced my Nexus 7 (2nd Gen). I haven't touched my Nexus in five months.

OP
G

gtext

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Quite a range of different answers depending on each persons individual preferences.
Personally at this stage when I get the SP3 I still a reason to continue using the iPad at times. That opinion may change over time though.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its still a month from sp3 time, but I can state in advance that for my usage, it would not be possible to replace my tablet. If the sp3 replaces my desktop for day to day chores and media in the evenings, then I have to have a tablet. Fortunately I already have a nexus 10 and 7 so its no skin off my knuckles from a financial point of view. Maybe I'll just have to buy a second sp3 :p

//zythyl

I have yet to receive my SP3 and I've been meaning to ask whether there are many supported tablet apps in the MS Store?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have yet to receive my SP3 and I've been meaning to ask whether there are many supported tablet apps in the MS Store?
AppCounter says there are 171363 apps and its steadily climbing... but then again Apps is a marketing thing...

A Full Featured Browser is the best app since you don't have to constantly switch apps and keep track of dozens of apps.

cschmach

My SP2 and SP2 Docking Station replaced my 13" MacBook Air, 27" iMac, and iPad Mini. My SP3 and SP3 Docking Station has since replaced my SP2 (sold to my mother-in-law). I have a Lumia 1520 which could probably be considered a tablet though, but it syncs to my SP3.

So far my sp3/i7 has replaced my laptop and my ipad3.

I have no trouble using the sp3 as my kindle reader, in fact I prefer it to my iPad. I always read with the device in bed, propped up on my legs, and with the iPad, it was always toppling over. Haven't hand any topple-overs with the kickstand.

I like the larger screen of the sp3 and don't find its weight over the iPad noticeable - this is probably because I rarely hold it in my hands for long periods of time (who does, really?)

I'm like Frank, the lack of a file system on the iPad drove me nuts and I spent more time fighting it than I care to admit.

I was so so happy when I get the sp3 and found out that their default music player could be pointed at whatever folder I wanted. And that the mail app lets me save and create attachments to/from a file system!

I still gripe every day about this bug or that bug (some are probably windows 8 bugs which are exacerbated on the sp3) but all in all, when things are working smoothly, I'm pretty darned happy with it.

cajun456

I have a Samsung Note 10.1 (2014) and haven't touched it since I got my SP3 a week ago. I see a lot of people talking about the limited amount of apps for Windows 8, the apps on my Android devices and iPad were to mimic what I could already do with Windows.

malberttoo

I mostly used my iPad as my Nook reader, and at the piano for sheet music. I'm pretty much replaced the iPad for the sheet music role, still use the iPad as the reader though.

everalm

I geek therefore am....:cool:

The SP3 will probably not replace the rest of my toys (HP Spectre 13, Samsung i7 Chronos, Samsung 500 Atom powered tablet, Nexus 7 tablet, etc. Oh I still have the original Atom powered touch tablet, the ExoPC, still a useful bit of kit, repurposed as a media hub)

What it will do is supplement and provide flexibility across the full range of what I want to do.

Full keyboard, 8 hour laptop full work portability, Spectre
Power use, development, photo editing, desktop replacement, Chronos
Travelling, by the pool, basic email, surf, Google Maps etc and lots of Kindle books, Nexus 7
Travelling, 10+ hours, Outlook and Office, low utilization stuff, light work related stuff, Samsung 500

The SP3 will cover1+3,+4 mostly but will still have the Nexus in the bag. Horses for courses, what will I do today will dictate what I have in my hand.

Hell I carry a Raspberry Pi and micro Bluetooth keyboard/mouse in my briefcase as an emergency backup and pentest tool.

The issue is about flexibility to deliver what I need now and the SP3 provides that to me, now if I can get battery life past 5-6 hours on lightweight usage it would help more.