What's new

Installing Windows 8.1 RT on Surface RT

OP
Omni

Omni

When Windows RT 8.1 is released, will you reinstall it then, or just stick with the RTM?
And if you would like to install the full version when released, is that possible and how would to go about doing that?

When RT 8.1 is released it will be the RTM version. There will only be updates from windows update to install. So after you've installed this that's it.

did mine first day Wzor released the untouched iso. Injected drivers, got key and installed. I can tell you that it's stable compared to all the problems I had with the preview (no mail syncing, blank screen after longer sleeps, no wifi after longer sleeps etc). Mail app is greatly improved and we have Outlook.
Osprey wrote an extensive how to in the same thread just recently here:
xda-developers - View Single Post - windows rt rtm
the device in Device Manager that is missing after 8.1 installation is an ACPI driver. Windows Update will give you two updates, one firmware (the acpi driver) and one defender update.
As Omni mentioned, It will stay at 0% or 2% for a while.
I would do it again.

Last edited:
OP
Omni

Omni

I might try this out then :)
Noticed any improvements?

Yes loads. 8.1 is far better than 8 especially for RT.

did mine first day Wzor released the untouched iso. Injected drivers, got key and installed. I can tell you that it's stable compared to all the problems I had with the preview (no mail syncing, blank screen after longer sleeps, no wifi after longer sleeps etc). Mail app is greatly improved and we have Outlook.
Osprey wrote an extensive how to in the same thread just recently here:
xda-developers - View Single Post - windows rt rtm
I would do it again.

That tutorial is much more detailed than mine but hes covering windows 8 and not RT. There are a couple of differences.

I also added create a recovery drive in case something went wrong to the tutorial.

Last edited:
Yes loads. 8.1 is far better than 8 especially for RT.

That tutorial is much more detailed than mine but hes covering windows 8 and not RT. There are a couple of differences.

I also added create a recovery drive in case something went wrong to the tutorial.
FYI: He is certainly covering RT in that post.
his title
"Instructions for installing Windows RT 8.1 RTM on the Surface RT"

FFX

Is there a way to be sure the installation files aren't corrupted? Where did you guys get your version from? kickass.** or?

OP
Omni

Omni

Windows checks the file before it starts the installation I believe.

Can't remember where I got mine and can't check right now sorry.