What's new

Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter Review

Hello guys, I'm back and have made an unboxing and review of the Wireless Display Adapter. I was confused on how it actually worked and how well it worked so I created a video to answer these questions for myself and anyone else that might need it. Please check it out and give me a thumbs up if you like it.

raqball

Thanks. I am currently struggling to get this to work in Extend mode. I do not have a typecover because I use my SP3 as a tablet.

You said in the video that you need a mouse to drag apps onto the 2nd screen but is there a way to do it without a keyboard or mouse?

Thanks and nice review video..

willgill

Thanks for the review. On the HDMI extension cable, since it's so short, it seems like it's meant for TV that have the HDMI coming directly out of the back instead of the side. A wall mount TV with a back HDMI port will need that cable to make the 90 degree bend to allow the TV to remain flush against the wall.

OP
CustomSurfaceP2
Thanks for the review. On the HDMI extension cable, since it's so short, it seems like it's meant for TV that have the HDMI coming directly out of the back instead of the side. A wall mount TV with a back HDMI port will need that cable to make the 90 degree bend to allow the TV to remain flush against the wall.

The HDMI extension is for you to plug a long HDMI cable to the other end so for TVs that doesn't have the USB plug in the back, you can plug the USB into a wall socket to power the display adapter.

I just picked the wireless display adapter this weekend and like it a lot, is there a way to create a shortcut for the project-display adapter? Would be nice instead of having to go into the Charms every time, not that it's hard or anything but I'd prefer to just make a shortcut.

strollin

The HDMI extension is for you to plug a long HDMI cable to the other end so for TVs that doesn't have the USB plug in the back, you can plug the USB into a wall socket to power the display adapter.
Willgill has the reason for the HDMI extension right, your explanation doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't you just plug the long HDMI cable in directly and leave the short extension out? Besides, a USB extension cable is probably less expensive so it makes more sense to extend the USB than it does to extend the HDMI.

OP
CustomSurfaceP2
Willgill has the reason for the HDMI extension right, your explanation doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't you just plug the long HDMI cable in directly and leave the short extension out? Besides, a USB extension cable is probably less expensive so it makes more sense to extend the USB than it does to extend the HDMI.

Where would you plug the other long HDMI part to after you plugged one end to the TV? It would have to connect to the WDA correct? The adapter has a HDMI male plug so two HDMI males would not work hence the included HDMI extension cord. And as I've mentioned in the video, the USB extension is cheaper, but most people have no idea that a USB extension exists or would they have one lying around the house compared to a 3' or 6' HDMI to HDMI cable.

willgill

The "extension" HDMI has one female and one male end, correct? Plug the male of the "extension" into the HDMI on the TV. Then plug the device into the female end of extension cable. Now you can bend the chain of devices 90 degrees.