What's new

Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter Review

Nicola

Where would you plug the other long HDMI part to after you plugged one end to the TV? It would have to connect to the WDA correct? The adapter has a HDMI male plug so two HDMI males would not work hence the included HDMI extension cord. And as I've mentioned in the video, the USB extension is cheaper, but most people have no idea that a USB extension exists or would they have one lying around the house compared to a 3' or 6' HDMI to HDMI cable.
This will not work as well, since the extension has a male on one side and a female on the WDA side, hence you would still need another extension to plug the female on the 1st extension and a male on TV.
You would end up with something like:
TV(F) / (M)==ext1==(F) / (M)==ext2==(F) / (M)WDA
This actually doesn't make much sense.

grumpy

The small extension is simply to assist with routing the device and assisting in eliminating interference with adjacent ports.

And as I've mentioned in the video, the USB extension is cheaper, but most people have no idea that a USB extension exists or would they have one lying around the house compared to a 3' or 6' HDMI to HDMI cable.
I have never heard that one before... Plus, a standard HDMI cable has male connectors at both ends, so a female coupler would still be required in your scenario.

silkrooster

This will not work as well, since the extension has a male on one side and a female on the WDA side, hence you would still need another extension to plug the female on the 1st extension and a male on TV.
You would end up with something like:
TV(F) / (M)==ext1==(F) / (M)==ext2==(F) / (M)WDA
This actually doesn't make much sense.
Your example does not make sense, it shows two duplicate extension cable, in your example, you can eliminate one of them.
One end of the extension cable fits the adapter and other end fits the TV. Its that simple.
It is only needed if you need extra length to reach the usb port whether that is on your TV, a computer, a battery pack, or a power converter.

Nicola

Your example does not make sense, it shows two duplicate extension cable, in your example, you can eliminate one of them.
One end of the extension cable fits the adapter and other end fits the TV. Its that simple.
It is only needed if you need extra length to reach the usb port whether that is on your TV, a computer, a battery pack, or a power converter.
hahahahah!! You quoted my "This actually doesn't make much sense" with a "Your example does not make sense"
LOL!!

I replied to this earlier, but after really trying the adapter last night, I am taking it back. I was no more than 10 feet away from the TV and I experienced lag, choppiness, some pixelation while changing scenes and movement and artifacting while watching a 720p video. There was definitely a delay from the SP3 to the TV. The SP3 got hot and the dongle was very hot after use. I was really hoping that this would work without lag, so I wouldn't have to run an HDMI cable to the TV. Oh well...you win some, you lose some.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've used it as my wireless docking solution for the last 2 days, while I get some tearing and artifacting, I'm running Windows 10 Tech Preview with a video driver from March...

enthuz

I replied to this earlier, but after really trying the adapter last night, I am taking it back. I was no more than 10 feet away from the TV and I experienced lag, choppiness, some pixelation while changing scenes and movement and artifacting while watching a 720p video. There was definitely a delay from the SP3 to the TV. The SP3 got hot and the dongle was very hot after use. I was really hoping that this would work without lag, so I wouldn't have to run an HDMI cable to the TV. Oh well...you win some, you lose some.

Wow. I'm not getting any of that on multiple TVs.

Wow. I'm not getting any of that on multiple TVs.

Yeah, I wish I wasn't. I really wanted this thing to work. I thought I would be able to play my games like this on any TV in the house. I was really disappointed. Perhaps, I just got a bad adapter? I don't know. Maybe, I will just exchange it, get a new one and see if it works any better.

kundas1

first off what kind of games? is it the MUI games or legacy X86 games? because I can play MUI games but cant play X86 games... don't know why...

That's too bad it didn't work for you, I didn't have any lag issues with anything other than streaming video and that was about a full second lag but not an issue since I'm watching the TV and not the SP3 and it was smooth playing. My SP3 didn't heat up but I did not check the dongle so I'll have to remember to test that. Maybe you possibly got a bad unit? Maybe try an exchange and see if that works?