What's new

ProcThrottleMax, Powercfg setting

Stephan

which model do you have??? I have the i5 8/256.
I am 99.9% sure I ran with all default settings also.

So, does it means that the i5 is now throttling less than the i7 ? If so, the i5 would be more powerfull than the i7 !

I will buy my SP3 in 3 weeks and I haven't decided yet if I'm choosing the i5 or the i7 (the difference of money between them is not a problem)

Cothek

So, does it means that the i5 is now throttling less than the i7 ? If so, the i5 would be more powerfull than the i7 !

I will buy my SP3 in 3 weeks and I haven't decided yet if I'm choosing the i5 or the i7 (the difference of money between them is not a problem)

It's definitely way too early to come to that conclusion.

GreyFox7, can you run firestrike so we can get a similar comparison?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's definitely way too early to come to that conclusion.

GreyFox7, can you run firestrike so we can get a similar comparison?
Fire what??? Is that a game? LOL. oh, part of 3DMark... I think I have that but haven't reinstalled it yet.. I'll be Back! :)

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The other issue I have been having since Patch Tuesdays (8/12/2014) updates is my battery life has dropped significantly and I'm idling about 10 degrees hotter on CPU temp for no obvious reason.

On Wed 8/13 I did a Refresh and then it installed all the updates through 8/12. the only changes I made were to ProcthrottleMax which is back to default setting and a couple XTU settings which have been discarded. So I have all default settings with a fairly fresh, or refreshed, machine.
Did another Refresh and the seems to have cleared up the warmer CPU temp... back to a cool 43C. hopefully the battery issue will follow suit.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Firestrike on my i5: score 495.

firestrike.PNG

This looks pretty similar to yours. I didn't have the Graphics Temperature in the graph so there's only the one line there but they pretty much mirror each other anyway. For some reason I was having a hard time getting the graph window taller so it's a little more squat than your graph. it does look like my graphics is working harder than yours which makes sense because the i7 has the HD 5000 vs the HD 4400 in the i5.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is a little longer run (20 min.) of the CPU Stress test using the latest Firmware.

CPU Stress 20 min.PNG

I removed the graphics lines from the graph for greater clarity.
I should add that I did a Refresh This morning then installed all updates so I am running the latest stock i5 configuration. Note also that the Refresh cleaned up an issue I was having with battery drain and running +10c higher CPU temp than I had been the weeks before so today I'm back to a nice 43c to start the test.

Thermal Throttling (pink line) is Zero all the way across.
At 3.5 minutes into the test Power Limit Throttling kicks on at 100% and stays there for the duration.
From the start, Processor Clock is 2.59 GHz for the first 3.5 min. and TDP is 16w. CPU temp immediately spikes and reaches a max of 85c. The CPU utilization is at 100% with dips to 95 or 93 at the lowest.

2.5 minutes after the Power Limit Throttling kicks on the temp drops to its lowest point of the test at 66c and Processor Frequency is down to 1.9ghz, TDP low is 10w.

From there we increase gradually over 3 min. and stabilize at 70-72c with clock freq of 2.1-2.4 GHz, TDP 11-12w.

Stabilized run time was 11 min. at 86% of max Processor Frequency and Avg.CPU Temp of 71C. The back was warm to the touch but not hot IMO. (not as warm as I was running yesterday with the mysterious high temp condition).

I think they could run a little hotter IMO achieving 90% of max. and perhaps tapering off a little slower (4.5 min vs 3.5 min) although I think some would complain.

I would still like to see a greater range (up to 90) implemented for ProcThrottleMax and the equivalent control implemented for the Graphics Clock. Power Plans could allow for easy user preferences with Balanced + or Balanced - with options of +/- 1 or 2.

From what I've seen tuning with XTU is not worth the risks of instability for day to day running. Additionally running XTU uses a lot of resources so it may be an overall negative.

I should add that a typical users profile will be bursty meaning they operate in short bursts of CPU activity so the 3.5 minutes of full speed should easily handle that. see how fast the a temp drops when the test ends... so typical start stop bursts will run full speed.

Last edited:

echizen

Anyone tried throttlestop? Supposedly there is an option in it to disable all temperature sensors except the cpu sensor. The BD PROCHOT option. There is a warning with regards to its use though due to the possible dangers. It seems that it's the only throttling program that offers this functionality. Dunno whether it works for the surface pro 3.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone tried throttlestop? Supposedly there is an option in it to disable all temperature sensors except the cpu sensor. The BD PROCHOT option. There is a warning with regards to its use though due to the possible dangers. It seems that it's the only throttling program that offers this functionality. Dunno whether it works for the surface pro 3.
Why would anyone do that? sounds positively insane.

Last edited:

ctitanic

Sounds like a very good option for those with unlimit financial resources. ;)