What's new

SP3 @ Starbucks

raqball

The type cover is on par with the prices of other keyboards.. Doesn't mean its not overpriced, because I think it is.

Maybe MS needs to give a •purchase with the SP3• discount on it. For instance, if you buy the type cover at the time of the SP3 sale you get it for $99. Purchase it after the fact and its $130.

EldoInTheWeeds

I don't go to Starbucks, but I do visit a lot of corporate offices (mostly oil and gas or transportation) and I have been seeing more and more SP3's being beta-tested. Average users like them better than iPads because their desktop apps and office are all the same and work the same. I think Microsoft's big gain in market share for the SP3 ands beyond will be the corporate world.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems that stereotypes die hard. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2468382,00.asp

I don't like Starbucks so I wouldn't be using it there.

don't touch coffee, so you wouldn't find me in Starbucks either.

The last bit of that article about Oprah is utterly pathetic though. Almost indicates that the article is biased and has an agenda, and I do not read sites who post in that kind of manner. I love my surface, and would recommend it to everyone, and buy it for them if I had her money, but you know what? I'll type this from my nexus 10 if I feel like it. Since when did someone loving a device mean they are not allowed to use an alternative device that at the end of the day does have a different usage model. They just went and ruined a perfectly good article and showed their true colours. I'll stay clear of that site from now on, clearly just sensationalist guff.

Last edited:

Aegeas

This will freak you people out. I went into a Sbux today and there were 2 SP3 and 2 SP2 Surfaces. I was stunned. Three of them were students and one was a mom that even had a hot pink external hard drive plugged in. Looks like students may be the sweet spot for the Surface line. 4 Surfaces in one shop and with mine it made 5!

Morgan

I bought mine in the NEX in Pearl Harbor in July because I had screwed up my smartphone and needed Wi-Fi to stay in touch with the folks back home. I took it McDonalds/Starbucks every day I wasn't stuck on the ship. But no one took any notice of it, and I never anyone else with a Surface Pro 3.

Tsurugaya

BestBuy employees much like Carrier Store Employees have a predisposition towards Cr@pple or Android Devices when it comes to phones and tablets, Microsoft has a Training Programs for both but it is up to the Store Managers to enforce the adherence to completing it...

Take Apple's iPad number 1 accessory purchase, keyboards...they range anywhere from $100-$200 with an average of $130...

http://www.macworld.com/article/1164210/buying-guide-find-the-best-ipad-keyboard.html

I did not know that Carrier Store Employees had a predisposition for Android and Apple devices, must keep that in mind when I need a new air conditioner :eek:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tangentially, id walk a mile to get Dunkin Donuts coffee over Starbucks and I saw somebody with a Surface there... good taste all around. :D

Dblkk

I to have never seen one out in the wild. Not SP 1/2/3. I go to university half time, work plc programming and troubleshoot, and amature photo/video taker. I see the Best Buy employees with them, but no one else at all. I've been on board since the SP1. For school/work, its invaluable. Full windows, tablet, pen. Out in the field, pull it out of my 'purse' (wife calls it), take notes, import a new reciple/program into machine, take pictures/videos of machine (for faults ect).

I mean, the guys next to me have flipboard and notepad, with laptop backpack. They take their notes, monitor temps ect, then set backpack down, pull out laptop, then stand up and play this balance the laptop in your left hand while plugging it in to import a new recipe, then sit back down, pack the laptop back into backpack, swing backpack back on, then finish with notes.

I blame marketing. Price I don't think so much. MacBook pro proves that people are willing to pay a premium for a premium product. And that a lot of people want a premium product. Type cover, yes should be included, but w/e. For $130 its the best darn keyboard ive used for a tablet.

But I think with broadwell or skylark in the next SP4. That will be their 'nitch' product. Battery life galore and fanless. Release the 8' with pen support like they were ready to but pulled out last minuete. And honestly I don't know what more actual professional users would want. MacBook pro has its uses, its a really good laptop. But a workable tablet is a whole separate area. If I had to choose between my MacBook pro retina 13 and my sp3, it'd be somewhat saddingly be the sp3. But only because it can be the other, laptop. While the MacBook cant be the other, tablet. But having both, best of both worlds.

Aegeas

It has to be my area. Here in Seattle there are so many technorati that you can't really call it a cross section of humanity. Within 10 miles of my house I have a Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Nintendo, Valve Software, and Boeing facility. I see these things constantly now and it makes me think they might actually have a hit on their hands with them if for no other reason than so many technically literate folks buying them. The early adopters are the canaries in the coal mine.

Aeron15

I haven't been to a starbucks in 2 years. I probably will try it one of these days during summer vacation. But I do see a few people using it at my university. There's 2 in my philo class and 1 in my linguistics class and I think I'm the only one using it in my programming class.