What's new

Surface Pro 3 Accessories

Kif

Anyone have suggestions for a good external keyboard and speakers. I'll looking to overhaul most of my current setup. Listed below are the items that are on my wish list:

Keyboard: Logitech K810 Bluetooth keyboard. (I prefer smaller sized keyboards)

Speakers: AudioEngine A2, or Kanto YU2, or Bose Companion 20 speakers.

Anyone has experience with these products or suggestions of products they like.

dstrauss

@Kif - I've got a matched pair of old Microsoft Bluetooth keyboards and mice at the office an dhome that have worked great (Mobile Keyboard 6000 and Notebook Mouse 5000) - probably have to troll eBay to find them, but really like the typing and mouse experience. Only downside is that you have to use a FN key combination for Home and End, which I hate.

bluegrass

Ditto for a Microsoft docking station. Mine has been on order for a few weeks now. That will make my SP3 an excellent desktop computer when I'm at home. I might also buy a second one to use at work. I have one for my SP2 & it's great to drop it in, close the sides and be connected to my projector for a screen. I couldn't get by without a few micro-fiber cloths to clean my screen once in awhile after using it as a touch tablet.

I like the Logitech mk320 wireless USB mouse/keyboard combination when I'm not using it as a tablet. I find myself also plugging in one of my 2.5" hard drives with some frequency for backup and for files I don't store on my Surface. I consider SSD space very valuable since SSD is so much faster then any hard disk. The docking station will take care of the additional USB ports I use since it has 3 USB 3 ports and 2 USB 2 ports.

ipaq_101

I really thought about buying the dock, but I have so many old laptops that I put one at my desk and connected it to my Asus 24 inch monitor with a wireless usb keyboard and mouse and now I used that as my desktop.

I also have network drives installed on all my machines that I save all my documents to as well and I sync to save offline.

Another alternative is that I have Office 2013 on all my machines so I can save everything to the cloud and not have to worry about saving things from one machine to the next.

I will see how all this will work in practice when I start school in a couple of months. If the two solutions above workout maybe I will be able to live without a dock after all.

But man it's nice to be networked, I should get rid of some of my old laptops, but they work great and I can always find new uses for them.

Pyro515

What is the pin out of the power connector? Could it be a thunderbolt connector or Just display port and usb?

The power connector is not thunderbolt. It is a pci-e connection, though. The component http://www.eeweb.com/company-news/nxp/high-performance-general-purpose-switch/
supports 5.0 Gbit/s so it will be slower than a thunderbolt connection. It should still be able to do an external GPU, if that is why you are asking. We would still need the pin-outs and a custom plug made to make it work. If you find the pin outs, let us know. I for one would love to create a E-GPU to use with my SP3.

Last edited:

pcom

I love my K810. Had it for over a year using it every day and I don't think I've charged it twice in the whole time.

Reactions: Kif

GTiceman

I love my K810. Had it for over a year using it every day and I don't think I've charged it twice in the whole time.

I found it refurbished for $49 and was considering it. I love the fact I could use it with multiple devices but I really want to see just how small it is in person.