What's new

Need Screen to Turn Off After Certain Delay But NOT Sleep

berardi1111

I have already turned off Connected Standby. I KNOW there has to be a way to get back the ability to make separate settings for sleeping / turning off the display. Will someone please help? this is driving me insane :(

To be clear, I want to have the display ONLY turn off after 3 minutes, but NEVER sleep my device.

Thank you!

malberttoo

What happens if you go to Power Options > Change advanced power settings, Display, and then "Turn off display after..." ? I guess I haven't actually waited 20 mins to see what mine does...

Display.PNG

malberttoo

Not doubting you here, just wondering, how do you know for sure the machine is actually sleeping?

OP
B

berardi1111

I can tell because Pandora stops playing :(

Also Trillian disconnects, and anything internet connected dies as well

malberttoo

Ah, well then you DO know for sure! :)

So again just double checking... you have the sleep setting set for some other time, but you have the display set to turn off after a couple minutes, like in the screenshot above. Even though you have those 2 different settings adjusted properly, the SP3 still actually goes to sleep when the display turns off?

OP
B

berardi1111

right, so the setting shows turn off display after 3 minutes, but there actually is no option to alter sleep setting

Capture.PNG

(right now I have never because instead of turning off the monitor it just sleeps whole device)

malberttoo

Have you ever enabled Hyper-V? When the SP3 first came out, there was LOTS of talking about the WiFi issues, etc. If you go into Power Options, it is pretty limited in what you can do compared a non- Connected Standby device. Well some folks figured out that if you enabled Hyper-V, that it changed your Power Options to the full, complete version, and then they could adjust WiFi power settings. Well since it was the full version, it also gave you tons of display settings as well. Well I DID enable it, made the one change, then went back and disabled it (Hyper-V).

BUT, here is my Power Options dialog-

Display2.PNG

The wierd thing is, since all that happened, I have done a full wipe/restore of my SP3. So the only thing I can think of is that enabling Hyper-V way back when, somehow permanently changed the Power Options dialog, in a way that somehow persists even through a full restore. I dunno?? Anyways ours are clearly different...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It worked when I did it. I'm not using Pandora just the built in music player streaming radio so obviously the network is still up.

Bring up Personalization. Touch Screen Saver (bottom right), select blank, set time, check on resume display logon screen.

Last edited: