What's new

Where do you hold the Tablet when you pull it out?

giliav

When I pull it out I grasp it around the top part and pull but it always feel as if I'm nearly squashing the screen, which seems very fragile.
As there's no real metal area to grab I'm curious to hear if someone found any better place to pull the tablet?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
When I detach the Clipboard (screen) from the Base Unit (keyboard), I also grip the top. The screen seems fragile because it is so lightweight and thin. Teardown photos available on the web show what appears to be adequate structural support.

And I purchased Microsoft Complete protection, just in case the Surface breaks when it should not.

OP
giliav

giliav

Thanks Guys! I was thinking that I was miss handling it.
I also got the two years plan for it but as I'm on the other end of the globe if I do want to send it for warranty it will mean about a 4-5 weeks round trip (using FedEx) so I rather avoid that :)

protip

I've found that on the whole, very little force is required to remove the screen. In fact, it basically seems like casually lifting the screen with about as much force as lifting its weight versus gravity. There's not much of any "tug" from the base that you need to counter.

As a result, I hold it where-ever my hand happens to be and don't tend to squeeze the screen much.

toaf

sorry guys, but i felt i HAVE to link this.

i used right hand, right hand side middle of my surface

Wayne Orwig

Maybe mine has a problem.....
But mine has enough 'drag', that it still lifts the keyboard even when I get the click AND detach message.
So I typically rest both wrists on the keyboard, grasp the left and right sides of the clipboard, and separate them. It feels like a more secure way to hold the clipboard when separating them too.

After just now detaching it 4 or 5 times, I realized that the reason it 'sticks' when I detach it is the magnets. It is supposed to be like that. So I assume that everyone else has to hold the keyboard down to detach it too.

PS: I'm glad the updates stop mine from doing the BSOD reboot when I detach the clipboard. That was annoying and embarrassing when trying to show it off.