What's new

Who is running without virus software?

Grumpy2

I use Windows Defender and have done so for many years. Gave up Norton shortly after buying my hp 610-1030a all in one Touchsmart desktop. Switched to Defender and have been using it ever since. Never had a problem.

King

Just so you know, Windows Defender is only Anti-Spyware and not Anti-Virus. So you are semi naked. Just to be safe, I would install any one of those free Anti-Virus softwares.

Aeron15

Windows Defender. This is just my device for working. I don't visit dodgy websites on it. My desktop is for those purposes

Jeff Au

Windows Defender is actually pretty good. Interestingly Bitdefender have a Windows 8 Security module (instead of the full fledge Total Internet Security which disables Windows Defender). Win 8 Security actually keeps Windows Defender (and Firewall) running and augments them. Maybe becoz of this, I dun feel any lag in performance.

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/windows-8-security.html

Back home, I run around naked. Just not with the SP3. :p

Kif

I think your best just using the baked in protection in Windows 8.1 and using good judgment. I also believe the MUI 8.1 version of IE is a bit more locked down and secure. If for some reason you need to visit the dodgy part of town setup a VM for yourself and roll it back whenever necessary.