What's new

WiFi fix coming in September

malberttoo

Well, I agree with most of the comments on the efforts MS is making to rectify these issues. The problem I have is that this is just more fodder for the press to dump on the Surface. When tech media outlets are talking up the multi-million-dollar losses on the Surface that MS is incurring, anything else just looks bad. My biggest fear is this is the type of thing that will scare people away. I've already had one bonehead colleague try to tell me how much money I wasted on the SP3, that it's an overpriced Zune, etc., etc. We all know that's a load of crap, but still, these things need to be addressed even faster to make the product look more viable. Just my two cents.

Don't stay focused on just what the press is saying about Surface. Other devices get reported on also. I never take the time to read those articles, but I see the headlines all the time... MBA update causing crashes, new iOS update causes wifi and battery issues for iPhone 5S, etc. etc...

wynand32

Oh, heck. I can't name a piece of consumer electronics that I've bought in the last five years that hasn't had one problem or another. My MacBook Air's WiFi connection is less reliable than my SP3's, and I've given up on Apple fixing it. I just reset things and it works--an inconvenience and nothing more.

Sure, I expect something I spend good money on to work, but I also recognize that the industry is so competitive, and thus the amount of technology that I have in my hands for what's really a remarkably low price is quite amazing, and so maybe I've just learned to temper my expectations of perfection.

Kif

Doesn't matter. I expect a premium product like the SP3 with a huge price tag to work flawlessly.

Yes, it's frustrating but that comes with the territory of being an early adopter. Name one company that does it better? I suggest that you might want to wait a good 90 days before buying a new product.

Wiidesire

Yes, it's frustrating but that comes with the territory of being an early adopter. Name one company that does it better? I suggest that you might want to wait a good 90 days before buying a new product.
I don't even have mine yet. 28/8 for Europe :/ I hope they fix most of the issues till then.

mohcho

I'm hoping that the fix comes soon. While it's not a huge inconvenience, but you'd still hope that they can sort out the drivers so that I'm not capped at 72 Mbps for wifi on battery.

mmoran27

You mean cs incapable since it doesn't work. I have to disable / enable the nic because windows doesn't see it.

This is just plain poor. No excuse for it.

I have 2 other tablets from Dell that support connected standby and don't have this problem.

Microsoft should have ditched Marvel after they couldn't get first gen working. A separate Bluetooth costs like dollars and would not cause these issues. Bandwidth drop using Bluetooth? This isn't android OS. Windows should not have these issues.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
To all those slating microsoft for going with marvel, remember, they built this product, not you, there is a very good chance that the had a very good reason for doing this, just as they may have had a very good reason for going n-trig instead of wacom.

And i have seen plenty of users who had the CS nic issue, but they did some updates and it seemed to fix it just fine for them with regard to coming out of CS and hibernate.

mmoran27

To all those slating microsoft for going with marvel, remember, they built this product, not you, there is a very good chance that the had a very good reason for doing this, just as they may have had a very good reason for going n-trig instead of wacom.

And i have seen plenty of users who had the CS nic issue, but they did some updates and it seemed to fix it just fine for them with regard to coming out of CS and hibernate.

mmoran27

What is your point in defending this? My sp3 has all the updates on it.

Still has issues with Bluetooth and WiFi.

Pen has to constantly be paired again etc.

This is why surface gets a bad rap. These things should just work out of the box.

If the end user has to tweak his router / nic / surface pro 3 etc to fix this then Microsoft is to blame here.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is your point in defending this? My sp3 has all the updates on it.

Still has issues with Bluetooth and WiFi.

Pen has to constantly be paired again etc.

This is why surface gets a bad rap. These things should just work out of the box.

If the end user has to tweak his router / nic / surface pro 3 etc to fix this then Microsoft is to blame here.

I'm simply saying that there are users who experienced exactly the same issues, and they rolled back, did updates, and solved it. If one person can do it, it's not unreasonable to think that yours can be fixed as well. you talk about this as if it's a universal issue, when it clearly isn't, based on the fact that others have solved it on their devices.

And fine, blame microsoft, that doesn't bother me, doesn't mean it's a reasonable gripe. Name a company that hasn't put out flagship products to find there is an issue at release that wasn't picked up during internal testing (and if they didn't pick up the issue during internal testing, then they can hardly create bugfixes for something they don't yet know about. This is what's known as reality. **** happens.