Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Just checking in. Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9879 continues to work great for my production machine.

Screenshot (199).png

Screenshot (200).png

young blade

BTW - If the latest Update continuously fails on you, uninstall the other 4 first then run Windows Update and they all should install correctly even the new one...

mine keeps failing..

edit: when I tried to install one at a time suddenly all of them succeded..

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
VPN working amazingly well with Technical Preview Build 9879

I compared performance of VPN via Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 3.1.04063 on the Surface Pro 3 under Windows 8.1, and Technical Preview Build 9879. Previous Technical Preview builds had problems with Cisco VPN, so I was wondering if it remains crippled under Build 9879.

I do lots of work on my Surface Pro 3 via VPN to my office and some other networks, so I have become aware of performance quality over the years.

To my surprise, connecting, disconnecting, and use of the Cisco VPN is faster under the Technical Preview. The WiFi conditions were the same for both tests. This test is not rigorous, but sufficient to convince me that whatever Microsoft is doing with networking throughput is making a difference.

Screenshot (210).png

Screenshot (208).png

Screenshot (209).png

sg555

I am running build 9879 and have done all the latest updates via Windows Update.

I have been unable to get Onenote (the 'metro' version) running - I was getting a Runtime error so I uninstalled it and then tried installing via the Windows Store but then get an error saying it failed to install.

I am also having a very frustrating time with the pen input in Onenote 2013. Large blocks of text just disappear intermittently and seemingly at random.

I recall there was a pen driver update today or yesterday and have no idea whether this was happening before or after it got installed.

As I use this machine primarily for note taking, if anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful! I'm regretting plunging in at this point, and am thinking about going back to 8!

young blade

For me the user experience has gone down with the latest build (9879). The Onedrive (metro) app is no longer working, so now all the sync files are also stored local. The task bar disappears very often the same goes for the start menu (looks distorted). sometimes when I click "change pc settings" the program wont launch.

The only thing keeping me on this preview is the new start menu. I'm still considering to revert back to 8.1.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the earlier problems have been fixed through the updates, but the show stopper that most of the problems root back to is the GDI Memory Leak, this is causing the Artificating, Screen Flashing and General Unresponsiveness....here's hoping an update will be released today :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am running build 9879 and have done all the latest updates via Windows Update.

I have been unable to get Onenote (the 'metro' version) running - I was getting a Runtime error so I uninstalled it and then tried installing via the Windows Store but then get an error saying it failed to install.

I am also having a very frustrating time with the pen input in Onenote 2013. Large blocks of text just disappear intermittently and seemingly at random.

I recall there was a pen driver update today or yesterday and have no idea whether this was happening before or after it got installed.

As I use this machine primarily for note taking, if anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful! I'm regretting plunging in at this point, and am thinking about going back to 8!

I have the same issue today with regard to the ink vanishing, write out a sentence, half suddenly disappears. No idea why.

As to onenote metro, i've a hunch that it has some code voodoo going on and it won't run unless it can run full screen. Since installing 10 i've had a number of metro apps that will no longer run with the same error as you get. Although for me, onenote is the exception in that it starts and then just sits there on the purple start srcreen with the dots going around. However it's not an issue for me, once i installed 2013, i never used metro again. Hey, it's a dev preview.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have the same issue today with regard to the ink vanishing, write out a sentence, half suddenly disappears. No idea why.

As to onenote metro, i've a hunch that it has some code voodoo going on and it won't run unless it can run full screen. Since installing 10 i've had a number of metro apps that will no longer run with the same error as you get. Although for me, onenote is the exception in that it starts and then just sits there on the purple start srcreen with the dots going around. However it's not an issue for me, once i installed 2013, i never used metro again. Hey, it's a dev preview.
The ink disappearing is related to the GDI Memory Leak, I'm experiencing it as well....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Big Fat Warning - From Gabe Aul - Director of Windows 10 Insider Program in a series of Tweets this morning:

Hey #WindowsInsiders, we just made a tough call after working through the night that I thought I should share with you.

We have a security update going out today, and the installer fails on 9879 if Office is installed.

Rather than rolling a new fix (losing several days in the process) we’re going to publish it as is.

The workaround is painful: uninstall Office, install the hotfix, reinstall Office. Sorry. We’re working hard to fix

Status
Not open for further replies.