Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Applied firmware 15 Jan 2015.
WiFi is suddenly much faster for me (before: 96, after: 126).
My Microsoft Band also connects via Bluetooth now.

Waiting for the January Technical Preview

Screenshot (267).png

Screenshot (265).png

Screenshot (268).png

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Likewise, fan never spools up unless i'm doing something that requires it, no different to when i had 8.1. Nice and quiet and cool :) Unless i use firefox that is, flash and firefox seem to make for a very hot surface.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Applied firmware 15 Jan 2015.
WiFi is suddenly much faster for me (before: 96, after: 126).
My Microsoft Band also connects via Bluetooth now.

Waiting for the January Technical Preview

View attachment 5035

View attachment 5032

View attachment 5037

I've just found the same. There is an open wifi connection near home that i sometimes jump onto in times of desperation, I had never ever seen above 100kB/s, now it's frequently hitting 150. Can't complain about a 50% speed increase from a firmware update :)

B

B'midbar

I've just found the same. There is an open wifi connection near home that i sometimes jump onto in times of desperation, I had never ever seen above 100kB/s, now it's frequently hitting 150. Can't complain about a 50% speed increase from a firmware update :)

Anybody on TP accessing an 802.11ac WiFi? If so, what kind of connection rates? I get 866.67MBps right now on Win 8.1.

olimjj

Absolutely no idea i'm afraid. Wouldn't even know how to test the connection rate.
Several ways without going to speedtest.net: Here is one:
Control Panel, choose Network and Sharing Center, Choose Connections
Speed is indicated in pop up window in Mbps

ScottyS

A firmware update (dated 1/15/2015) was installed lest night and it fixed my heat/fan problem.

It still gets up to 180º when running a video, but otherwise has stayed <130º even with Photoshop 7.0 applying a filter, Word and a few IE windows open. And no fan, just quiet. Now I can actually use Win10 as my default OS.

I was expecting to have to wait till the Consumer Preview version to get the problem fixed, but a firmware update fixed it.
That raises a question I have. Firmware updates affect the flash memory the SP3 uses to boot, before the OS loads, right?
I had a firmware update for win8.1 several days ago, and now one in Win10. Would changes made for Win10 affect Win8 or vice versa?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Nice cool solution, @ScottyS. Congrats.

Firmware updates very rarely change a device to be incompatible with previous OS versions. Instead, firmware updates make hardware do what hardware should do, that is, provide communications and status signals with the OS according to specifications. When a device does not actually work as specified, the OS is often blamed. Software updates are quite another thing, of course. Software is very OS dependent, and not often backward compatible.

In general, firmware updates are designed to make hardware work more efficiently, or reliably, or according to specifications. You should be good for Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

mitchellvii

So the Windows 10 SP3 leaf blower problem has been solved with a firmware update? May have to run this up the flagpole again.

Status
Not open for further replies.