Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
So the Windows 10 SP3 leaf blower problem has been solved with a firmware update? May have to run this up the flagpole again.

Hop to it, so that you can access the January Technical Preview, just a few days away.

I'm ready.

Screenshot (287).png

mitchellvii

Couple questions.

1. Is there a way to enable transparency on the Start Menu? Seems odd they would allow transparency on the Taskbar but make the Start Menu opaque?
2. Can I put all of my Windows Apps in one folder instead of listing 60 of them individually under All Apps menu? Can I list my program folders first? The current method seems quite cludgey and poorly conceived.
3. Will Stardock's Start8 work with Windows 10? I still like the Windows 7 Start Menu better. Classic case of Microsoft "fixing" something that was never broken.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually really like the start menu in 10 compared to 7. Had to use startdock in 8.1 though.

As to your other questions, 1. i don't know. 2. i don't know but share your frustration, even simply to have a folder for MUI apps, and one for applications. However remember, this is developer build, these things are not really of any significance. The consumer preview will be the one that will highlight the new features designed for the general user.

Looking forward to wednesday, i fear my time in the library will not be that beneficial to my studies.

mitchellvii

Went ahead and ran my copy of Start8 and seems to work just fine. What can I say, just have never shared Microsoft's obsession with big square animated icons. Ever since they ruined Office by going to "Ribbons" instead of Menus, MS has been OBSESSED with big icons.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are two sides to the argument though. If they don't include big icons, everyone would be screaming bloody murder over MS not supporting touch users. They can never win.

I'm personally glad for the ability to have large tiles on a touch device, and especially glad i can now have them on the start menu without having to resort to a whole different interface.

ScottyS

What I'd like to see most for the start menu is to be able to put a tile where I want it without all the other tiles dancing around. Seems if I move one tile, three others move to where I don't want them.

mitchellvii

For some reason my Internet is lagged as hell on latest build. Getting solid DL speeds but webpages taking 10-15 seconds to load.

ptrkhh

What can I say, just have never shared Microsoft's obsession with big square animated icons. Ever since they ruined Office by going to "Ribbons" instead of Menus, MS has been OBSESSED with big icons.
IMO, Ribbon is really great. I don't have much experience with pre-ribbon Office since I was too young back then, but I can say that ribbon in W8 File Explorer is million times better than the menu in the older version. I used to ignore the entire menu in W7/older Windows, use keyboard shortcuts for pretty much everything. Ribbons, on the other hand, barely occupies a space, yet it fits all functions with just a click, definitely more efficient than the stacked menu system.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Menu System had become ridicules, it was like boxing with your mouse "....bob....weave... bob...weave....click...missed...menu collapse...$#@$!!!!....."

Word 1.0 had around 30 Menu Commands, Word 2003 had about 3000+ Menu Commands.... very inefficient UI....

mitchellvii

Well if your database is as heavily customized with homegrown menus as mine is in Access (why we still run Access 2003 - the last great Access), then menus are a Godsend. I suppose for the average user ribbons are nice but for my company, they are a downgrade in customizability. I also hate the Navigation Bar they implemented on the left side in Access. Completely unnecessary and if you had forms designed to fit a screen perfectly, they now no longer did.

They've been around for a while now, but when ribbons first came out they were HATED in the development community for this very reason.

Speaking of this, not only is my Internet lagging in W10, my database seems quite slow to open. Both of these things were quite fast under Windows 8.1. Who knows? Did a clean install. Always odd when you are getting 50 mbps download speeds from your ISP and even basic websites take 10 seconds to load.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Well if your database is as heavily customized with homegrown menus as mine is in Access (why we still run Access 2003 - the last great Access), then menus are a Godsend. I suppose for the average user ribbons are nice but for my company, they are a downgrade in customizability. I also hate the Navigation Bar they implemented on the left side in Access. Completely unnecessary and if you had forms designed to fit a screen perfectly, they now no longer did.

They've been around for a while now, but when ribbons first came out they were HATED in the development community for this very reason.

Speaking of this, not only is my Internet lagging in W10, my database seems quite slow to open. Both of these things were quite fast under Windows 8.1. Who knows? Did a clean install. Always odd when you are getting 50 mbps download speeds from your ISP and even basic websites take 10 seconds to load.
I'm not seeing these issues, but it still is a Beta, we'll vet a new build on Wednesday and it should (crossing fingers) be more stable....

Status
Not open for further replies.