What's new

8.1 Recovery image...

cbutters

Could someone who has a surface 3 that came installed with Windows 10 go here: Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface

and see what microsoft offers as the recovery image? I'm being offered the Windows 8.1 image, but I'm wondering if a Windows 10 from factory S3 serial number would give a Windows 10 image. If you could provide a file name that would be ideal. I am interested in restoring my Surface 3 with a Windows 10 recovery image that is specifically for Surface 3, since both upgrading and clean install from iso have several hardware issues cropping up. I'm hoping the microsoft official image might fare better.

cbutters

The file I get from my original 8.1 surface3 is "Surface3_BMR_10_4.50.0.zip" so Im pretty sure that the Surface3_BMR_10_10.34.0 file probably contains Windows 10.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking about this and I don't think I have ever gotten anything from Lenovo or HP that wasn't the original image it shipped with. Factory Settings, indeed.

cbutters

I was thinking about this and I don't think I have ever gotten anything from Lenovo or HP that wasn't the original image it shipped with. Factory Settings, indeed.
I'm going to attempt putting the Win10 Recovery image onto my Original Windows 8.1 device and see how it goes.

cbutters

So I flashed the Windows 10 Recovery Image [Surface3_BMR_10_10.34.0.zip] onto my original 8.1 Surface3 and it is working much much better than the clean RTM ISO install did. no touchscreen locking up issues, or other little power and screen problems. I still have some interface complaints with Win10, but it at least is functioning as intended. and with TouchMe Studio, I am quite happy with the device.

dcxero

Can anyone share the Windows 10 recovery (Surface3_BMR_10_10.34.0.zip)? I've got a launch Surface 3 and I'd like to try what cbutters did above, as mine acts funky as well when I do a clean 10 install and the Surface 3 MSI drivers

khangozzy

So I flashed the Windows 10 Recovery Image [Surface3_BMR_10_10.34.0.zip] onto my original 8.1 Surface3 and it is working much much better than the clean RTM ISO install did. no touchscreen locking up issues, or other little power and screen problems. I still have some interface complaints with Win10, but it at least is functioning as intended. and with TouchMe Studio, I am quite happy with the device.
Hi, could you share the Surface3_BMR_10_10.34.0.zip recovery image? I only can download Surface3_BMR_10_4.50.0.zip with my S3 SN.

xbliss

:)

Three ISPs. 5 machines. 4 OSs. 5 different browsers. DNS modifications.

MS acknowledged it's some issue on their end but two weeks later they haven't corrected it.

I know it wont have the blessings of MS and maybe Forum Mods.. But shouldnt the community get together put this out on some kind of online sharing system/ mechanism?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I know it wont have the blessings of MS and maybe Forum Mods.. But shouldnt the community get together put this out on some kind of online sharing system/ mechanism?
This would constitute online piracy and breaks EULA of MS and I would highly encourage you not to do it and using this forum for that purpose would be against the TOS here....

xbliss

This would constitute online piracy and breaks EULA of MS and I would highly encourage you not to do it and using this forum for that purpose would be against the TOS here....

Intent is not to go this way, especially not on the forums.. But given the failure to download it via MS site, I do wish there was something else out there.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Intent is not to go this way, especially not on the forums.. But given the failure to download it via MS site, I do wish there was something else out there.
It's time to escalate this with Microsoft Support or your ISP, circumventing MS official downloads is just asking fro issues....