What's new

Advice on Canon printer status monitor issue requested

Richardm

Hello

I have just bought a Canon Pixma TS9150 3-in-1 printer. The Canon software has installed on my Surface Book ok and I can print and scan from the laptop.

However, the printer status (e.g. ink levels) and maintenance tasks do not work - I get the message that the printer is not responding.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all Canon software a number of times, and I have completely opened the firewall and suspended anti-virus (briefly) at one point to rule that out.

I have installed exactly the same software on a Dell laptop, running the same version of Windows (and anti-virus) and running on the same network and that works fine.

So I am left wondering if there is a known issue with the Surface Book accepting information back from a peripheral such as a printer and if so, what the fix is?

Many thanks,
Richard

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, @Richardm

I get status messages from my HP 7740 printer just fine on both Surface Book computers.

Though I did not need to, you may have to enable a Windows Feature for a particular file sharing protocol.

1) Settings, search for 'Windows Features'
2) Choose 'Turn Windows Features on or off'
3) Turn on 'Print and Document services'

I am including a screen shot of Windows Features which I have enabled.

I hope this helps. Let us know ...

WindowsFeatures.PNG

OP
R

Richardm

Hi @sharpuser

Many thanks for getting back to me with that advice. Unfortunately it didn't work :-( .

I enabled three unchecked items under 'Print & Document Services' (LPD Print Service, LPR Port Monitor & Scan Management) but it made no difference. I even uninstalled all the Canon software / drivers and reinstalled it in case the changes made a difference at install time.

I cross-checked all the items under 'Windows Features' with the Dell laptop that is working fine and they are in sync.

While testing the above I noticed something even more annoying. After printing a document successfully it remains in the print queue as 'Printing...' and has to be cancelled manually before anything else can be printed.

There is clearly something wrong with the communication from the printer back to the Surface Book but I can find no reason and it is now extremely frustrating!!

Further advice on diagnostic approach or fixes appreciated!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that your printer and its drivers are fine. Windows is slightly mis-configured.

I suggest a Windows 'Reset' from Settings, Update & Security, Recovery. Choose to 'Keep my files'. A pain to do, but I think it will likely solve your problem.

OP
R

Richardm

Hi @sharpuser

As painful as that advice was, it was welcome because it worked - many thanks!

I had the feeling that I should reset Windows a couple of days ago but my confidence that I was on the verge of finding the one crucial configuration change - together with the knowledge that a reset meant a lot of software re-installation - stopped me doing it. Had I done it then I might of saved myself a day or two...

You advice was just the push I needed to take the plunge.

Thanks again,
Richard