What's new

Android apps on a Surface

oion

Heh. Name Taken and Dahnark, your answers are still irrelevant to the OP's question. He asked about Surface 2. Read more.

acemd

First I would like to thank those who recommended genymotion. When I get the time, I will definitely check it out.

Macmee, for me this is not a conversation about which is better. I was just trying to point out why someone who owns a surface rt/pro would want to try and access apps from other ecosystems. Ultimately I agree with you.

Oion, wow where do I begin. I do not think that the OP is still around or if he or she is still reading this post. That being the case let me clear up some possible misconception about myself and how I general use my device. I have got the surface pro because I wanted something that’s powerful in a small form factor. My goal was for it to replace my laptop, become my tablet of choice, and possible replace one of my desktop. For me it has performed wonderfully for two of my criteria and in the time that I have had it I have giving my laptop to a relative, and retired one of my desktops. For me it meets 80% -90% of what I want it for. However, there are something I wish was better on the platform. The question I ask myself is, are there any work around or alternatives available to me inside the windows 8 ecosystem. Or am I better served by investing in another ecosystem. I think that its total reasonable for someone who majority of needs are meet inside the windows 8 platform to want to see how far he or she can bend the platform before he or she is forced to go somewhere else.

That being said, this discussion has nothing to do with how you (or me for that matter) choose to use our devices (surface). What matter at least how I see it (in regards to this discussion) is how others who are contemplating purchasing a windows 8 device (and in particular a surface rt/pro device) who may feel like I do that the surface rt\pro may meet 80% (or more) of their needs but for whatever reason does not meet all of their needs. Your view point in my opinion is flawed because it takes the extreme position against the argument of the lack of quality apps as if the person who has this view point cares (as in 100%) only about apps without taken into consideration the possibility that a person (as it was stated above) may be just trying to squeeze out the last 10% or so out of their (possible) devices. This is not about being a blind fan and recommending improper tools to the masses but more so helping those who may feel that the surface rt/pro may meet the majority of their needs but not all. Your argument about user case is valid but imho only in the light of the above.

In the end (or at least for right now) we can’t surmise the OP user case as he never really responded back as to why he was interested in using android apps on this platform. Nor do we know the amount of research the op did in the first place. For all we know he may have lacked the knowledge necessary to distinguish the difference between the surface models and may have been open to getting a surface pro instead of the surface rt (if not another windows 8 machine, which in the end still benefits the surface community). In the end you agree with one of my original points (the lack of quality apps on our chosen platform) and I hope I made my position clear as to why I (as well as others) may be interested in accessing apps from other platform on our devices. Imho (at least for right now) the growth of community can be help greatly by those who user case as I stated above can find a way to meet that last 10% of their needs instead of being pushed away and chastised for their (possibly) perceived needs.

Last edited:

acemd

Name Taken and Dahnark (as well as others) thank you for bringing my attention to genymotion. I will check it out this weekend