What's new

Any Happy SP3 users?

WorldIRC

I'm loving my SP3! Far superior to the SP1 128 GB it replaced, and light years ahead of my first tablet pc (an Asus See Slate). I'm an IT professional who also does sales/consulting, and it's great to have a device that allows me to seamlessly transition between these two roles. There really is nothing more impressive to clients than being able to sign all of their paperwork on the Surface, and immediately getting a digital copy for their own records. I don't have to waste paper or ink, and it really works as a marketing tool and conversation piece. Now all I need is my Power Cover to work on it for those days I want to be completely untethered! For those curious I have the 8/256 model.

Similar background (IT Telecom Sales) - amazing having my clients sign contracts right there and then.

scfoster

Now that I've figured out the weird USB mice interactions (both Microsoft branded mice) that caused the external monitor flicker, I'm a pretty happy camper.

Nirvana for me has always been the ability to have ONE device in a very small backpack, replacing a paper notebook, iPad/Samsung_Galaxy_note, and a laptop.

Is the SP3 perfect? Far from it.... but it's waaaaay better than anything else available today, IMO.

OP
F

fonzman78

To the op. I am very happy with the device. I do have a few annoying little bugs but on the whole. Its amazing. I can't wait for it to get better with newer software. I had an HP tc1100 10 years ago and this device is everything I wanted that device to be.

Great!

Thanks! It's good to see everyone come out in force with positive comments for once. Not saying there aren't issues but I'm confident they will be resolved.

My first tablet was the Toshiba M200 which it the right most one in the pic. I loved that tablet PC 10 years ago. The whole concept of using a tablet PC for taking notes and drawing was new and exciting to me back then. I was on a mission to get my peers converted to the tablet PC back then. Funny how some things don't change. :)

ctitanic

Thanks! It's good to see everyone come out in force with positive comments for once. Not saying there aren't issues but I'm confident they will be resolved.

My first tablet was the Toshiba M200 which it the right most one in the pic. I loved that tablet PC 10 years ago. The whole concept of using a tablet PC for taking notes and drawing was new and exciting to me back then. I was on a mission to get my peers converted to the tablet PC back then. Funny how some things don't change. :)

Using a TabletPC is something that once it enters your veins it's hard to get rid of it. You become and addict for the rest of your life! At least, that's my own experience.

kristalsoldier

Now that I've figured out the weird USB mice interactions (both Microsoft branded mice) that caused the external monitor flicker, I'm a pretty happy camper.

Nirvana for me has always been the ability to have ONE device in a very small backpack, replacing a paper notebook, iPad/Samsung_Galaxy_note, and a laptop.

Is the SP3 perfect? Far from it.... but it's waaaaay better than anything else available today, IMO.

I fully agree with this. If we leave aside the question of gaming for the moment, a SP3-like device, paired with a dock and extended by a large local HDD (or multiples thereof), two external monitors, and hooked to a pair of speakers would serve very well. Slip it out of the dock and carry your desktop machine with you. Jot down notes...watch a movie...transact and save files on local and cloud-based drives...get online by tethering with a capable phone and/ or using a WIFI service (free or paid). So, effectively, leaving aside the gaming device of choice, a SP3-like device can fulfil a multi-function role - and quite well. Except in my case, I need a separate e-book reader-like device. I find that the iPad Air serves that role. It has excellent reading apps, can play the role of an independent terminal from which to access mails, surf the net, connect to files and documents from a cloud-based drive (OneDrive etc.) and do some online work (banking etc.). So, for me the ideal device combo would be the SP3 and the iPad Air. So, yes, I also think the SP3 - and specifically the SP3 - is a very interesting proposition, which led me to pursue it.

kristalsoldier

Using a TabletPC is something that once it enters your veins it's hard to get rid of it. You become and addict for the rest of your life! At least, that's my own experience.

Hmmm...interesting! I have also heard something to this effect. Can you speculate why "using a TabletPC is something that once it enters your veins it's hard to get rid of it"?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm happy enough with the device that I will be upgrading the Wife and Kid's devices today, We went from 6 devices to 3 :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm...interesting! I have also heard something to this effect. Can you speculate why "using a TabletPC is something that once it enters your veins it's hard to get rid of it"?

I can answer this one, because unlike a laptop or desktop, with a TabletPC you are interacting with device very differently, using Touch, Pen, using it in Portrait mode laying it flat on the table like a pad of paper or when reading holding it like a book. And when there is a proper Active Digitizer and it just works you just instinctively want to annotate or write down thoughts and ideas.

The way that the Pen on the SP3 works with the top button is amazing, I find my self using all the time for screen scrapes while taking notes. So when you're on a legacy form factor or even a tablet without a proper pen you miss it and continually to interact with it the way you do a TabletPC.

I was willing to compromise much of this for the form factor of the Surface 2 but as you all know I was always hunting for the elusive pen that would replicate the TabletPC and I could never find it.

ctitanic

Well it's hard to explain. I'll let theses screenshots to explain it.

Screenshot (16).png

Screenshot (17).png

Screenshot (18).png