What's new

Arc Mouse

sagatiba

hey guys,

I really need to buy a mouse to use on the go! I thought about the arc mouse, but i read there are occurring issues regarding the use of the Bluetooth and WiFi at the same time.

but appears that MS also sells the arc mouse with usb transceiver, so, whats the best option, the BT or the USB version?

here the USB version: Microsoft Arc Touch Wireless Mouse | Microsoft Hardware

and does the scrolling work good even though there is no wheel ?

Or Does anyone know if any update fixed the BT wifi issue?

OAG

Get the BT One, don't need the Wheel as the App allows you to just swipe up and down and do some other stuff that the wheel will not allow or not as well. Works well on virtually any surface except glass.

Last edited:
OP
S

sagatiba

Get the BT One, don't need the Wheel as the App allows you to just swipe up and down and do some other stuff that the wheel will not allow or not as well. Works well on virtually any surface except glass.

Thanks for the answer, but my concern is related to the wifi interference. I read a lot of posts in this forum related to this, are all of them sorted out?

Dim-Ize

I have it, sagatiba. I don't have issues using WiFi and the mouse at the same time.

I think what some report is that WiFi is not as fast with both concurrently running. I get 35 MB/S and my bottleneck is the ISP not both running at same time. True workarounds include: changing router, changing frequency of WiFi or running USB Ethernet for max.

OP
S

sagatiba

I have it, sagatiba. I don't have issues using WiFi and the mouse at the same time.

I think what some report is that WiFi is not as fast with both concurrently running. I get 35 MB/S and my bottleneck is the ISP not both running at same time. True workarounds include: changing router, changing frequency of WiFi or running USB Ethernet for max.

In my case that workaround would not work, since I use the SP2 a lot at uni, so my workaround would be using the arc mouse with the USB transceiver rather than the Bluetooth one.

Dayton

I have the Arc Touch Surface, it's BT and I've never had an issue with poor WiFi. Since you only have one USB I would go BT.

daniielrp

If you use the Arc mouse (or have Bluetooth turned on at all) then WiFi will be limited to 65Mpbs on a 2.4GHz WiFi network. If using a 5GHz WiFi network it should not be affected.

IMO, 65Mpbs should be enough for any use really.

I use it all the time and have never noticed any problems, even when on a 2.4GHz and the speed is slower, it's never appeared slower.

benjitek

I bought the Arc Mouse -- hate it. The movement tracking is not anything approaching precise, which is OK for web browsing or general use, but the source of four letter words when using graphics software. The soft-touch finish collects 'crud' and everyone's first instinct when picking it up is to brush-it-off, although that doesn't get rid of the lint-like coating that accumulates on it.

Another post recommends the Logitech Ultrathin Mouse, which looks like it might be a good choice. Best Buy has them on sale for $20 off, so I've ordered one: Logitech T630 Ultrathin Optical Touch Mouse Black 910-003825 - Best Buy

CrippsCorner

Thanks for the answer, but my concern is related to the wifi interference. I read a lot of posts in this forum related to this, are all of them sorted out?

The only way to sort it out is to use 5GHz Wi-Fi which runs on a different frequency to Bluetooth... it all depends on your router.

Saying that, there's another thread on this section stating that the Update 1 actually sorts out this issue, haven't tried it myself yet.

be77solo

I use the Arc Touch Surface Edition connected via Bluetooth, and love it, great little mouse that is super portable. The advantage it has for me over the T630 is the Arc has actual clickable buttons which I significantly prefer over the Logitech whole mouse squishing solution.

As far as Bluetooth version or the USB option, depends on how important 2.4Ghz wifi speeds are... on 5.0ghz connections it's not a factor, but there is a slowdown of the connection when using Bluetooth and 2.4 as posted above. I never actually noticed a speed difference, and honestly if I didn't know I'd never be able to tell a 270Mbps connection from a 65Mbps in actual usage, but everything I do is via Internet and not local network. Browsing online and downloading files using a 50Mbps ISP connection makes no difference in download speeds. So, unless you are transferring huge files locally on the Uni server not sure it would even matter.

Personally I hate tying up a USB spot with a receiver, so for me it was a no brainer.

OP
S

sagatiba

Well, I bought the logitech T630, the mouse works very well but now I have only half of my wifi speed! think I should have bought one with a usb transceiver!