What's new

attempted to buy at retailer - bad experience

bluegrass

I'm a tech and I have purchased from BB in the past but only when I knew exactly what I wanted. I can't think of a good reason to purchase an SP3 from BB if their is a MS store within a 100 miles from where you live.

compnovo

I did purchase my SP3 at BB but only because I needed one immediately for a next-day business trip and they had what I wanted in stock (and I don't have a Microsoft Store close by). The salesperson started to question my choice and I shut that down immediately. He was probably just trying to be helpful but I do have a high level of tech experience and I know what I want for work and play. I wasn't there to be sold, I was there to buy, and I knew the SP3 would fit my needs perfectly (I'm a prior RT owner).

Liam2349

It is frustrating and made me feel that I might be in the wrong camp. I am going to take a day or two off to decide. I don't have the technical knowledge of people here; i just want to use office in a small format, and one note. I want support when needed. I never anticipated it would be this challenging to get into this tablet, and I just think I need to ask around and see what objective options are out there. Maybe I am missing something.

I likely will buy, but only from MS store. Just need time to digest this whole thing.

SP3 is 100% the best device for OneNote, and generally I think it's an amazing computer. I wrote a review based on how I use it - perhaps it will help you to see if this device is for you. It's here if you're interested: http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/my-review.10989/

graye

I wonder if the profit margins for the store are higher for Apple products than Microsoft products. That'd be on explanation of why a salesperson would steer a customer to another product

malberttoo

I was in my first Microsoft Store last year, and honestly if you are considering buying a SP3, do not even go any other place to get one.

enthuz

Come on Best Buy is great! That's where I go to see all the cool stuff before I order it from Amazon.....

That is the only reason I go too unless they are having some crazy sale on something.

I was in my first Microsoft Store last year, and honestly if you are considering buying a SP3, do not even go any other place to get one.

I would love to have a MS Store in my area of my home state, but unfortunately the closest store is a couple of hours away. I wish there was a list of upcoming store openings to keep watch.

Liam2349

They need to be opening stores in the UK too. I'd love to have one over here - buy SP4 there, have somewhere to go if there are issues.

I buy stuff from BestBuy all the time but the only thing the employee helps me with is ringing it up. I don't say that to be arrogant, I research almost every purchase and when I go to the store I know exactly what I'm looking for. I prefer BestBuy because they are right by me and the Microsoft Store is in the Bellevue Square Mall which I try to avoid malls just because they are crowed and you can't get in and out quick. I did pre-order my SP3 though the Microsoft store though as their return period was better but mine has been great and loving it.

compnovo

I buy stuff from BestBuy all the time but the only thing the employee helps me with is ringing it up. I don't say that to be arrogant, I research almost every purchase and when I go to the store I know exactly what I'm looking for. I prefer BestBuy because they are right by me and the Microsoft Store is in the Bellevue Square Mall which I try to avoid malls just because they are crowed and you can't get in and out quick. I did pre-order my SP3 though the Microsoft store though as their return period was better but mine has been great and loving it.
Ditto, I'm down in Thurston County. Bellevue may as well be on the moon.

kristalsoldier

Agreed! When I bought my SP3, it was my first experience at an MS Store. This was in Toronto. The store was smallish...not too many machines on display, but there were enough. There was a fair-sized crowd but it was not maddening. Since I knew what I wanted, I went up to one of the guys there and told him. He checked his stock list and brought out a sealed box. I told him that I was an overseas traveller in Canada but wanted to avail the academic discounts. He checked with his manager who looked at my ID and approved it. I then paid for the device. He was expecting me to pay by card, but I paid in cash and he fumbled a bit, which was funny. After the payment he proceeded to take me to a sit-down area and allowed me to unbox the device. He then attempted to help me set up my SP3, but since I was coming from a Surface 2 (RT), I knew exactly what I needed to do. I spent a few minutes scrutinizing the device for obvious flaws and having found none, I put the device back in the box, which he put in a MS bag and I ran from the store to my car to rush back to my hotel to play with the device!

Painless experience! And the device has been performing brilliantly ever since!

So, yeah...the MS store experience is not bad at all. In fact, when I was there I was comparing it to the Apple Store experience when I had bought my iPad Air. In the latter instance, the people I engaged with were a little more detached but again, the experience was not bad at all. The interesting thing was that when they heard that I was carrying my Surface 2 (RT) in my bag, they requested to see it and, to all intents and purposes, they seemed impressed, which speaks volumes about the way these folk actually operate (contra much of what I hear and read about on various online forums).

annabanana

I've never had a bad experience at the 2 local Best Buy stores. I've bought a lot of electronics and even a washer and dryer there. Sales reps have been very good for the most part. One reason I like to buy there is I can use my credit card and get 12 months free financing on big ticket items. Did that with both Surface Pros. I hope Best Buy doesn't go out of business because options for electronics are already limited and some things I don't want to buy online. We lost Circuit City and Comp USA. I extremely dislike Walmart. The MS kiosk here was bad and the next closest MS store is over 2 hours away.