What's new

Battery 1: 100%, Battery 2: 0% Plugged in, not charging.

Michael Waldier

I've had my Surface Book Pro for about two years not. My current SBP was a replacement given to me when my battery swelled and pushed the screen out about six months ago.

Last week, I noticed that the battery indicator to the right of the taskbar was less that 100% but did not apprear to be charging. When I hovered over it, it showed 34% and not charging. When I clicked on it, it displayed a battery 1 and a battery 2. I had never seen this before; every time I has seen this display before, it had shown one battery only. The new display had battery 1 at 100% and battery 2 at 0% and stated "plugged in, not charging. I when into device manager, removed both batteries and the adapter and rebooted to see if one battery would return, as before. Both batteries and the adapter were re-acquired in device manager in the same condition. Battery 1 seems to work properly, discharging and recharging to 100%, apparently providing only 34% of the battery capacity total. Battery 2 appears to be dead and will not charge.

Anyone have a explanation? It would seem strange for the battery to go dead on a new (I was told not refurbished at the Microsoft Store on swap-out) surface book pro after less that six months.

sharpuser

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, @Michael Waldier ,

I just took this Snip of my Surface Book battery status. The clipboard has a separate battery (number 2). What you describe is not normal.

Try detaching the clipboard (screen) and charging it directly via the port. See what happens.

Annotation.png

Search tags for this page
battery 2 at 0 percent

battery 2 not charging

microsoft surface book 2 battery 1
microsoft surface book battery 0 not charging
muy surface 2 battery 2 will not charge
my surface book tablet is not charging
surface battery 2 not present

surface book 1 battery 2 not charging

surface book battery flips 100 and 0
surface book battery not charging