What's new

Book 1 fastest WiFi type

Wayne Orwig

Short version:
I have made significant improvements to my backup drive. If I connect a 1 gig ethernet cable via a USB ethernet adapter, I am getting about 60MB/s speeds to the remote drive. All is well. If I use 5Ghz WiFi, I get about 15MB/s. Sometimes less, since the WiFi AP is a couple of rooms away.

So, I have the ethernet cable, but don't generally want to cable my Book. So I want to add a second WiFi AP in bridge mode, connect to that cable, and place it near where I use the Book.

It is not practical to move the first AP. Also, the first AP has VPN features and such, that I want to not want to bother. It is an 802.11n router.

Basically, what 5Ghz WiFi protocol should I look for in an AP, that the Book 1 will support, to give me better speed. 2.4GHz gives me better range, but is crowded here.

Last edited:
Hey Wayne,

I can help you troubleshoot this however it may take longer going back and forth on the forums. Check your PM inbox.

Just to follow up on this.

I got a cheap Asus RT-ACRH13 and put on the end of my ethernet cable in Access Point mode. Using the 5Ghz band, and 80MHz bandwidth, I get a connection to the Surface Book that shows 866/866Mbps. When I transfer large files to my backup drive, they transfer at just under 50MB/s. A PC on the remote ethernet gets closer to 60MB/s. So I'm now happy with the WiFi speed, since it appears I am close to the max throughput of the remote drive.

Back