What's new

Brand new surface pro with blacklight bleeding

dream3

Hello.

It kills me to admit that my brand new $ 1200 surface pro has some light bleeding around the botton right and right areas of the screen.

Ive looked it up a but and it seems that this was an earlier issue so I actually didnt think there would be a chance I would end up facing this problem. I havent seen any complaints throughout may-june.

Here are 2 pics:

First one is with the place lit at the boot screen.

2gy7hif.jpg

Second one is with lights out, black image on full screen.

2lc01p3.jpg

They are both with brightness at 100%, but it really doesnt make that much differene if it's set to 50%.

What do you guys think? I shouldnt be expecting those right? I know that people had much worse bleeds once, but that was before.

I also dont want to keep exchanging till I get a good one, that's too much of a hassle. So if you tell me that all of them are probably be the same I wont exchange.

It bugs me that such an expensive device would present this kind of irritating and ugly problem after 6 months in production.

Igor

I've had 2 different SPs, both had some level of backlight bleed. In the same area as yours but I can't tell if it's better or worse than yours because I never run my SP at 100% brightness, and photos have a way of exaggerating backlight bleed.

In any case, I'm not sure you'll find one with no bleed at all.

Krooked

My first SP had very little bleed, but it had a dead pixel. The replacement (brand new) SP has similar bleed to yours. This is entirely normal with these types of screens, even my iPad 3 and all of my system monitors have some amount of backlight bleed . However, it shouldn't be noticeable during normal operation. Most people do not usually watch pitch black or extremely dark screens for long periods.

tonyz3

My SP and my wifes RT both have similar and does not bother me. A dead pixel i would return for but the minor light bleed is not worth the trouble.

Striknine

Mine bleeds a little as well while booting. It doesn't bother me at all though. When the screen is on I cant tell so no problem here.
Does everything else work correctly? If so just enjoy using it and don't let the little things that are common worry you.

MaxSurface

Without looking up the specs and just by looking at your pic, it looks like a typical edge lit led panel. Bleeding around the edges is common with them and not worth worrying about in my opinion.

will25u

I've returned 2 surface pro 128 not because of the backlight bleeding but for something else and both of them had a little bit of bleed. I think it's normal and if you do return it you will most likely get another one with the same issue so I say keep it unless it's really bothers you.

Krooked

Mine bleeds a little as well while booting. It doesn't bother me at all though. When the screen is on I cant tell so no problem here.
Does everything else work correctly? If so just enjoy using it and don't let the little things that are common worry you.

I actually just noticed mine only has bleed on boot (it looks like the OPs). No wonder it doesn't bother me during normal operation.

Interesting, in truth, I thought the bleed in the start-up screen was intentional. I have it but notice it at no other time. Seems like an effect to me.

OP
D

dream3

You guys are almost convincing me but how about watching youtube videos with dark backgrounds? In that case with that surface, I could see the bleeding and it was in fact drawing my attention.

It does seem to be common but damn, I hope I get one with very little then...