What's new

buy the typecover?

ultra99

ive been holding off buying the typecover, but now since MS announced they won't have price cuts on it....should fork my money for it now?

oion

Do you type a decent amount? If you're a hardcore touch-typist like me, then Type is really a no-brainer for the tactile response. If you do light typing like a couple emails a day or whatever, and are slow, Touch works well enough, I guess (I don't have one, just imagining), although I have read reviews and comments where people get used to Touch and are typing over 70 wpm. It's possible.

It all comes down to feel, though. I personally don't like the idea of a felt keyboard because I regularly wipe down my hardware to remove finger grease. Can't do that with Touch. I expect the Touch will visibly wear faster for that reason, as well (cloth vs. plastic keys).

Cooknn

I like the touch because I can flip it over when I want to use the Surface as a tablet and it doesn't feel awkward on the back like a real keyboard might.

Lolvo

I own both, and use both.

For me, it comes down to what you're doing and where you're doing it. I leave my type cover at home most days, and my touch comes with me to school and work. Thinner, more durable, and so much quieter - I can take notes and do research in class along with the course, without bothering classmates and/or interrupting class. This would be impossible with the type cover.

I use my type cover at home, or when it's not necessary to be quiet, or when I don't have a solid flat surface to work on. I can type almost as fast on the touch as I do on the type.
I am glad I have both keyboards, and I do recommend getting one. However, don't just buy a new one...the only reason I bought the other cover, was because I'm a smart shopper, and only paid $65.

Ebay is a great resource when you know how to use it - look for the right deals that are unpopular, and make the snipe! That's actually how I ended up with my Surface...I entered a reasonable bid with about 45 seconds left (thinking I would be outbid), and ended up winning the auction.

Last edited:
Own both but hardly ever use the type. On my recently purchased notebook, I spilled espresso on the touch pad and it feels sticky when I use it even after several wipe downs with water. I wish I'd been using my Pro with touch cover at that time.

OP
U

ultra99

After watching so many comparison videos I've decided to get the touch cover. There's a learning curve to it but I think I'll have to manage. I'll be writing lots of papers. Unfortunately, there's no near by store to try them put. I'm still torn, but $80 vs $130 still gives it away. What do you guys think?

CrippsCorner

My girlfriend and I tried the Touch but we both really hated it I'm afraid. Bought the Type instead and have been happy with it. I was trialing it (still am) to see if I can live with it full time without buying a 'proper' keyboard and so far it's doing pretty well tbh. Not perfect, but good enough... I think.

OP
U

ultra99

I ended up buying the touch over 2 days before the announced the "power cover". lol
It's not bad as I thought it would be. Doing fairly "touch" typing, needs more practice I guess..

Noticed that the keyboard already started to wear out, wtf??

Lolvo

I ended up buying the touch over 2 days before the announced the "power cover". lol
It's not bad as I thought it would be. Doing fairly "touch" typing, needs more practice I guess..

Noticed that the keyboard already started to wear out, wtf??

It's definitely not going to stay the same vibrant color it was when you bought it. Keep in mind the material that it is, and you won't end up manhandling it in such ways that allow the edges to wear out.

CrippsCorner

Anyone used to have one of these? I've still got one somewhere, the original Touch!

atari400open.jpg