What's new

Can i change how long SP3 stays in Connected Standby

Hi together,
i have read a lot here about connected standby of Surface Pro 3. But there is one question i didnt find an answer.

I have connected standby (after 4 minutes) and i understand that the system goes after a while into Hibernation. I really like connected standby. Is there a way to change the values of minutes/hours a SP3 stays in connected standby?

Thanks for answering.

Daniel

wynand32

As far as I know, there's no way to change how Connected Standby performs. The more I struggle with it, the less of a fan I'm becoming. I'm getting to the point where I'd just rather hibernate my SP3 when I'm not going to use it for a few hours than mess around with sleep.

tuchas

In a way, I think MS looked at this thing and removed the ability to manage the power just to make it "simpler" for the average consumer. I doubt anyone on these threads are "average" in that regard and I think we should have greater control over how we manage the device. We shouldn't have to run something on the command line to activate "high performance" or some other power mode. The other thing is that clearly they weren't ready for some of the problems connected standby had caused (e.g. wifi) and at the very least should have had these bugs worked out before release. Just my two cents.

wynand32

It's Microsoft's issue to resolve, since they're the ones selling the SP3, of course. But, if I'm not mistaken, Connected Standby is a function of Intel's chipset, hardware and software (drivers). How well it works in general, how well it interacts with other hardware components (e.g., the Marvel WiFi adapter), etc. seems more of an Intel issue than a Microsoft issue. I think how soon this is fixed will come down to how well Intel is working with Microsoft--something we'll probably never know.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Actually Intel's chipset is compatible with Connected Standby using the S0iX Power State, ARM Architectures have equivalent Power States that are called by different terms.

The SP3 uses a modified version of Connected Standby - It goes into CS for 4 hours, between hours 4-8 it goes into a "light" hibernation (modified S4), at hour 12 it will go into a deep hibernation (Traditional S4) and can maintain the charge for up to 12 months in that state.

Here are the current challenges:

Legacy or poorly coded Win32 App refuses to suspend to allow the SP3 from entering CS so Hibernate is never achieved due to constant activity

The handoff from CS to the modified S4 requires the machine to "wake" and write RAM to disk, during this time a Process also wakes and prevents the system to enter the modified S4 Power State or Hibernation File gets corrupted and reboots computer (I believe this can also happen between the modified S4 and the deep Hibernation State as well.

Tom

Great explanation, Jeff. As far as problem win32 apps, I've had problems with:

* Dropbox - desktop version - pausing synching helps