What's new

SP3 is not hibernating

wynand32

My 2012 MacBook Air has had random WiFi disconnects since I first bought it. It's a known problem for that and other Apple machines that hasn't been fully resolved for me. So, returning an SP3 for a Mac because of WiFi issues is a dubious proposition...

lemongalaxy

My i7 is also failing to hibernate. It did hibernate properly for the first couple of days, but since then it is always in connected standby when I turn it on. This is the factory installation.

Other possibly related power related issues:

I experienced a power drain attributed to the keyboard when in connected standby. It was losing 10 -20% every hour in standby. Disconnecting the keyboard and reconnecting fixed it. I also saw this issue on a friend's i5.

Also I had a power button issue where pressing the power button showed a "slide down to shutdown your computer" screen. Force shutting down by holding the power button fixed this.

I am using ESET NOD 32 antivirus, and I am running SQL Server 2014 standard. Otherwise no unusual software. Hyper-V not enabled and no other hypervisors installed. Standard drivers installed. I am connected to a Windows HomeGroup.

nilsk123

Okay, so heres what i have observed.

If i have the power chord connected, my surface pro 3 will stay in connected standby (seemingly) forever.

If it's on battery however, it will do connected standby for 4 hours, losing about 15 percent of the battery (is this a normal percentage?). After that, according to my battery report, it suspends. Shouldn't it say 'hibernate' instead?

Liam2349

Okay, so heres what i have observed.

If i have the power chord connected, my surface pro 3 will stay in connected standby (seemingly) forever.

If it's on battery however, it will do connected standby for 4 hours, losing about 15 percent of the battery (is this a normal percentage?). After that, according to my battery report, it suspends. Shouldn't it say 'hibernate' instead?

No, a normal percentage of battery loss in 4 hours of connected standby is 1 or 2 percent.

On battery power, connected standby should last for 4 hours - I believe it's supposed to be indefinite when plugged in.

Try to obtain an energy report to see what is consuming so much power.

Open search in charms and type "powercfg /energy", right click the result under the search box and run as admin. Wait for the trace to finish and you should find the report in system32. It will be called "energy-report".

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Also to piggyback on Liam's suggestion, run a Sleep Study as well while your in the CMD Prompt....

powercfg /sleepstudy

Gives more detail on the Connected Standby "Wake" Status

Remember that these need to be done via an elevated CMD Prompt so do a run as Administrator

nilsk123

Thanks for the help guys, i've been running some battery reports. I'll attach them below.

I have manually set bluetooth power saving (turn off when idle) to off in the past, because it caused stability problems with my (microsoft) bluetooth mouse. The battery report however indicates this is a problem. I've attached a report with and without that turned on.

It also sais 'the usb controller stays on a 100% of the time. I think thats because the marvell bluetooth adapter is recognised as a usb device. hmmm.

Furthermore there's warnings about chrome 'open timer request'.

I'm sorry the reports are in dutch, hope you can understand them :)

Attachments

• reports.zip
    41.6 KB · Views: 678

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the help guys, i've been running some battery reports. I'll attach them below.

I have manually set bluetooth power saving (turn off when idle) to off in the past, because it caused stability problems with my (microsoft) bluetooth mouse. The battery report however indicates this is a problem. I've attached a report with and without that turned on.

It also sais 'the usb controller stays on a 100% of the time. I think thats because the marvell bluetooth adapter is recognised as a usb device. hmmm.

Furthermore there's warnings about chrome 'open timer request'.

I'm sorry the reports are in dutch, hope you can understand them :)
It does appear that your Bluetooth Radio is staying active throughout Connected Standby....The Bluetooth Radio is bussed on the USB Host Controller...

nilsk123

It does appear that your Bluetooth Radio is staying active throughout Connected Standby....The Bluetooth Radio is bussed on the USB Host Controller...

Yea, i just turned back on the energy saving options for bluetooth, we'll see how that goes.. although i know my mouse doesnt like it.

Could you maybe give me a battery report of a machine that functions as its supposed to? Does it show 'hibernate' after 4 hours of what is it supposed to look like?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, i just turned back on the energy saving options for bluetooth, we'll see how that goes.. although i know my mouse doesnt like it.

Could you maybe give me a battery report of a machine that functions as its supposed to? Does it show 'hibernate' after 4 hours of what is it supposed to look like?
Sorry.... my workflow has been run my SP3 down to 10% and charge it overnight, so I haven't had any Connected Standby sessions that have lasted over 4 hours on battery since I started my new Consulting Gig...