What's new

SP3 is not hibernating

phositadc

When doing a sleepstudy, I noticed my SP3 had been in Connected Standby for 19+ hours. See attached screenshot.

I then tried to manually hibernate it using command prompt "shutdown /h." However, when I came back to it a few hours later, it woke right back up as if from connected standby, so I ran another sleep study, and sure enough, it had been in connected standby.

So somehow it seems as though my SP3 cannot hibernate. I understand that after 4 hours in connected standby, it should automatically hibernate. But mine never does. I have see connected standby durations of 11, 15, and 19+ hours.

Any ideas? I did do a clean install of Win 8.1 Pro, so I guess it's possible that doing that somehow wiped out some MS function that enables the SP3 to hibernate? That would be kind of ridiculous given that I've reinstalled all of the firmware and Windows updates with no problems whatsoever, but I guess it wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world.

Input appreciated!

Edit: I've also attached a screenshot showing the output of "powercfg /a" which shows that the system is allegedly capable of hibernating...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 577
  • powercfga.jpg
    powercfga.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:

malberttoo

That IS really weird. If you've done a clean install and it's still happening, then it must be a hardware defect somewhere.

OP
P

phositadc

That IS really weird. If you've done a clean install and it's still happening, then it must be a hardware defect somewhere.

Well, by clean install I meant from Win 8.1 Pro installation media, not from the recovery drive. It's possible that MS's default installation somehow includes something wacky to enable it to hibernate--but I doubt that.

I'm hoping somebody here can give me an idea. Otherwise, I'll do a factory reset from the recovery partition (which will put me back to factory default state), and see if it hibernates then. If not, I guess I would assume hardware defect.

In other news, encouraging to know it only loses about 0.5% per hour, even over long periods of time, in connected standby. That's nearly as good as my Moto X and my iPhone 5s.

MS should give us control over how long it sits in connected standby before switching over to hibernate.

ctitanic

When doing a sleepstudy, I noticed my SP3 had been in Connected Standby for 19+ hours. See attached screenshot.

I then tried to manually hibernate it using command prompt "shutdown /h." However, when I came back to it a few hours later, it woke right back up as if from connected standby, so I ran another sleep study, and sure enough, it had been in connected standby.

So somehow it seems as though my SP3 cannot hibernate. I understand that after 4 hours in connected standby, it should automatically hibernate. But mine never does. I have see connected standby durations of 11, 15, and 19+ hours.

Any ideas? I did do a clean install of Win 8.1 Pro, so I guess it's possible that doing that somehow wiped out some MS function that enables the SP3 to hibernate? That would be kind of ridiculous given that I've reinstalled all of the firmware and Windows updates with no problems whatsoever, but I guess it wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world.

Input appreciated!

Edit: I've also attached a screenshot showing the output of "powercfg /a" which shows that the system is allegedly capable of hibernating...
Question, after 5 hours of being i Standby, can you turn it on by pressing the Windows Button or do you have to use the power button? If you have to use the power button then do not worry, your device is in hibernation.

OP
P

phositadc

Question, after 5 hours of being i Standby, can you turn it on by pressing the Windows Button or do you have to use the power button? If you have to use the power button then do not worry, your device is in hibernation.

I'll test and report back in the morning after it has been asleep for 5 hours.

However, even after 19 hours, it just goes straight to the login screen after a split second. I understand that when it boots back from hibernation it usually takes several seconds (even 8-10 seconds). So either my computer is not in hibernate, or it wakes from hibernate faster than any computer in the history of computers =P

But yeah, I'll try waking it with the windows button tomorrow morning.

OP
P

phositadc

All these days, did you need to push the button?

The keyboard usually was not connected, and I did not know the Windows key could unlock it until you told me, so I actually do think I was using the unlock button every time--but because that's the only way I knew to unlock it in tablet mode.

ctitanic

The keyboard usually was not connected, and I did not know the Windows key could unlock it until you told me, so I actually do think I was using the unlock button every time--but because that's the only way I knew to unlock it in tablet mode.
What's the unlock button? I don't use the keyboard at all.

OP
P

phositadc

What's the unlock button? I don't use the keyboard at all.

By unlock button I meant the actual power button on the side of the SP3.

But anyways, I used the Windows button this morning, and sure enough, it turned on and went straight to the login screen, as normal. Definitely was not hibernating. And a sleep study shows 11 hours in connected standby (only lost 3% battery life though, which is pretty impressive for connected standby).

I find it very odd that the computer will not go into hibernate mode. I did the registry tweak to add a "hibernate" option to the power menu in Windows 8.1 and will try that later this morning, although since neither the "shutdown /h" or "shutdown -h" commands worked, I doubt that using the hibernate command from the power menu is going to work, either.

My last resort will be to do a factory reset using the SP3 recovery partition, but I must admit, I will be disappointed if MS has done something funky that kills hibernate on a clean install. I understand many of the folks on this forum do not think a clean install is necessary, but it should at least be optional to do without deactivating critical device features.

Anyways, will report back later today.

If I could get it to stay in connected standby and have your minimal battery loss, I'd be thrilled! Maybe don't look a gift horse in the mouth? :)