What's new

Car charger?

volumnus

I have a robust car charger capable of charging two tablets simultaneously. I also have a 15000 mah power brick. Is there any way to get these to charge my new Surface Pro 2? I could buy a specially designed car charger from Microsoft for $50 or get one off ebay for around $10, but, if possible, I'd like to utilize the stuff I already have. I'd need a cable with a usb port on one end and the surface pro 2 magnetic power connector on the other. That may not even be possible, just checking.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
It is fortunate that the Surface power supply uses 12v, so a brick transformer is not needed.
You can cut and splice a USB cord to a Surface power cord yourself, but you are destroying two good cords, and a splice of two different cords rarely looks good or is reliable enough. Plus, you really should fuse the supply for safety and protection of your electronics. I would just spend the money.

So instead, I use a lightweight car charger combination which works for home or vehicle: Check out http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...ories/8463-generic-surface-wall-chargers.html .

Last edited:

Nismode

The surface car charger is actually very neat, and I use that in my car now instead of the micro USB + USB port charger I've used in the past.

reslosp

Generic Surface wall charger look ok, but I want to find out some other options too. I think to go with BESTEK Dual usb car charger, but I'm not sure is it the right choice for me.