What's new

Common faults to look for

Right my SP3 is on the way back to MS over a 6 inch scratch on the screen from factory.

Now i've been skimming the internet for how many people have had scratches, I then stumbled across an article on dead pixels, scratches, and of course this yellow banding, then i heard about chassis separation.

I ask what to look for as when my new one arrives I'm going to check it over before I start installing my applications (I wasted a long time on that last time) I just want to know what people have seen as a common fault.
I have OCD so anything is going to drive me nuts once I've found it so doing some QC before setting up seems a prudent action.

So what has been noticed? if any one has pictures of these faults, I'd be most grateful if you could upload them.

In hindsight my unit had a scratch which a tempered glass screen protector could have solved, bearing in mind the rest of it was bang on.

any-ways please let me know, this will at least give me something to look through while i wait for my new unit.

Thanks,

Luke.

leeshor

If you don't look for anything you probably won't find it. Are you trying to find problems? ;)

leeshor

The problem is that the vast majority of users don't have any problems. When/of you find any then we may have something to discuss.

kristalsoldier

You have 30 days or whatever is the return period that MS has in place to return your device if you find any faults. Just to share my situation - I bought my device on June 20 (release day in North America) and have been using it since across three continents for over 12 hours a day every day. I haven't found a problem yet...no wifi issues...no heating problems...no yellow bands...nothing...Have I been looking for problems? No.

olimjj

Even on the finest works of craftsmanship, if you decide to look at it under increasing levels of magnification you will eventually find a flaw.

OP
L

lbtaylor1984

It's not a case of looking, just i had mine set it up then discovered it was scratched. What I'm getting at is common issues so I can look over it and if any are apparent ms can have it back. I justdont wanna set it up then find them

malberttoo

Even on the finest works of craftsmanship, if you decide to look at it under increasing levels of magnification you will eventually find a flaw.

This is my concern also.

To the OP @lbtaylor1984, it just seems if you go into it looking for faults, then you will probably find something on every single unit you get your hands on.

Just enjoy it! If you DO have problems, you have lots of friends here to talk you through them! :cool:

kristalsoldier

It's not a case of looking, just i had mine set it up then discovered it was scratched. What I'm getting at is common issues so I can look over it and if any are apparent ms can have it back. I justdont wanna set it up then find them

Fair enough. So let me ask you this - what can you reasonably expect to go wrong with a brand new SP3 straight out of the box? If you can identify the potential pain points, the perhaps we could tell you from our personal experience of owning our individual SP3s whether we had the same or similar or related issues/ problems.

raqball

My unit also has a scratch right out of the box.. Mine is on the top metal strip that the power button is on. Its about a half inch to the right of center. I'm not concerned about it even though it's pretty obvious..

Aside from that there have been issues over hyped that are not really issues.

1) Heat gate = Not really an issue. Some expect a device this powerful and thin to remain ice cold.
2) Yellow strip gate = Many other manufacturer screens have similar issues. Some see it some don't
3) Screen bend gate = It's not the screen that bends and it appears to be by design and not a flaw.

You can't predict getting a flawless device. If you happen to get a defective one, you will more than likely know its a bad unit rather fast.

OP
L

lbtaylor1984

My main things are screen issues I end up staring at them, and anything like the heat issue where i7 were getting really hot