What's new

Cord Management

tonypitt

This may be among the most trivial questions asked on this forum: does anyone have any tips on how to coil/wrap/whatever the power cord and brick for compact transport in a bag/pouch?

I've always had Velcro straps on cords like this, and I find that without that, the cord uncoils in the pouch.

I've also been wondering what the use is of the small black clip that comes on the thin power cord.

Thanks.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If a person was so inclined, you could coil the small cord and then with that last part loop it through the coil two times (like a weave which holds the coil together) then use the clip to fasten then end to the first loop of the coil, if you were so inclined.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... Given that all I have is the SP cord setup, a mouse, and a USB 3/Ethernet dongle, I think it would be overkill for my needs.

If you have fewer items, the GRID-IT shrinks, of course, to a thin pad. That's what I like about it - adapts to whatever I want to carry. And remains soft around the edges and front/back.

FlySwatter

You'd be surprised what you can find this kind of purpose if you think outside the box a little. Go to K-Mart, Walmart, etc and look for bags/containers for other things not related to computing equipment. You might find a perfectly sized makeup bag for example. For the power supply and cord by itself, I think I might have a hard case that my electric shaver came in that would be a perfect fit if I were to go looking for it. Pouches/bags in the camera department are a good place to look also. Good luck. Last thought: handheld video games -- lots of small carrying solution possibilities there.

FlySwatter

This may be among the most trivial questions asked on this forum: does anyone have any tips on how to coil/wrap/whatever the power cord and brick for compact transport in a bag/pouch?

I've always had Velcro straps on cords like this, and I find that without that, the cord uncoils in the pouch.

I've also been wondering what the use is of the small black clip that comes on the thin power cord.

Thanks.
On a whim, I opened the bottom drawer of my bathroom vanity, and there was my Braun electric shaver hard shell case, and naturally couldn't resist seeing if the power adapter would fit. It's practically made for it. I'm sure you can find something similar in the wild (without having to buy an electric shaver lol).

Attachments

• OpenEmpty.jpg
    OpenEmpty.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 612
  • OpenWithAdapter.jpg
    OpenWithAdapter.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 759
  • ClosedWithAdapter.jpg
    ClosedWithAdapter.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 631

Knuck

The Microsoft tech team wrap the cord around the battery and use the clip to hold it in place.

Whatever you use beware these cords are fragile. Already replaced one that went dead. Apparently slight strain will cause the contacts to disengage.