What's new

Crazy Question: Can you Roll Back to Windows 7?

J515OP

Super Moderator
In that case:

[video=youtube;iCCAdbZQdQ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCCAdbZQdQ8[/video]

Russ

there is no Clock, Date and day notification and connectivity info . . . To expect to download and run an app just for this makes little sense!!!!

KristalSoldier --

The calendar is already pre-installed, and there is a nifty little free app called "Digital Live Clock" that satisfies the time issue. This is the upper left corner of my Start screen:
Screenshot01.jpg

Now, I just need to find something for the connectivity info.

Also, I mostly use my shop computer in Desktop Mode, because I'm typically running a "legacy program" for designs and such.

Take care,
Russ

kristalsoldier

KristalSoldier --

The calendar is already pre-installed, and there is a nifty little free app called "Digital Live Clock" that satisfies the time issue. This is the upper left corner of my Start screen:
Screenshot01.jpg

Now, I just need to find something for the connectivity info.

Also, I mostly use my shop computer in Desktop Mode, because I'm typically running a "legacy program" for designs and such.

Take care,
Russ

Thanks. I'll check out the clock app...no one app to do them all? Btw, what is that tile which says "F" just below the Video tile?

Last edited:
OP
HD_Dude

HD_Dude

In that case:

[video=youtube;iCCAdbZQdQ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCCAdbZQdQ8[/video]

That is amazing! I just stared at the screen and thought - 'am I really seeing this???'

Thanks!

And it has me thinking that maybe I should go even bigger - bigger than rolling back to Windows 7.

Maybe, just maybe, I should consider rolling back to a DOS-based system...on the Surface Pro!

After all, after that first black screen with white letters - it's all been downhill from there.

Russ

what is that tile which says "F" just below the Video tile?

KristalSoldier --

That is the Freda reader app. It's a carryover from my RT. There are no RT apps to read .mobi books, so I converted my books to epub and was using Freda to read them. I won't get into the "Best" discussion, but I tried a lot of epub readers, and it was the one I preferred.

I really don't need it on my Pro, because the "Kindle for PC" app allows me to sideload my .mobi books and read them without conversion.

re: "no one app to do them all?" -- Well, there might be; but, you see, Darlin', my eyes are older than yours, and I kinda prefer that I can read them easily at a glance. :)

Take care,
Russ

Russ

Maybe, just maybe, I should consider rolling back to a DOS-based system...on the Surface Pro!

HD_Dude --

I think I may still have an MS DOS 3.0 disk around somewhere. I save a lot of old stuff.

It also occurs to me that you may be having too much fun, and I'm sure there must be a limit on that written down somewhere. (I hope not, though, because I'm enjoying it, too.)

Take care,
Russ

kristalsoldier

KristalSoldier --

That is the Freda reader app. It's a carryover from my RT. There are no RT apps to read .mobi books, so I converted my books to epub and was using Freda to read them. I won't get into the "Best" discussion, but I tried a lot of epub readers, and it was the one I preferred.

I really don't need it on my Pro, because the "Kindle for PC" app allows me to sideload my .mobi books and read them without conversion.

re: "no one app to do them all?" -- Well, there might be; but, you see, Darlin', my eyes are older than yours, and I kinda prefer that I can read them easily at a glance. :)

Take care,
Russ

Oh...OK. Thanks. I don't bother with reader apps on the RT. I use my Nexus 10 for all my reading needs. I get the point about "my eyes are older..." etc....I really do!

machistmo

Ms has already confirmed that Linux can be run after changing the BIOS from Secure Boot. So sure you could run Windows 7, provided you could get all the drivers to work. Double Driver might help you extract the core driver files and install them on 7 whether or not it liked the installers.

Nuspieds

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it...why would you buy the SP so that you can downgrade to Windows 7? Then don't get the SP, no?

Nuspieds

Form factor. I wouldn't do it, but I can see why someone might.
No, I'm sorry, the form factor is the tablet. If you don't like it, then get yourself another form factor.

I'm really tired of Windows 7 people (including and especially the press) complaining about Windows 8. Get over it! Windows 7- is history and Windows 8+ is the future. Period, that's it, that's all!

You know, I'd be the first to admit that the Start button should've been included in the Windows 8 Desktop, but I wasn't wiling to go as far as to install a utility to bring back the Start button. Why? Because as Microsoft had implied, it was time to move on, and so I have.

You can't embrace the future by continuing to hold on to the past.

OP
HD_Dude

HD_Dude

You can't embrace the future by continuing to hold on to the past.

Ladies and gentlemen, please stop debating all this. There is no need. The debate is over.

Windows 7- is history and Windows 8+ is the future. Period, that's it, that's all!
So, everyone, there is no more need for you to say another word. Please don't. You might upset him.

In addition, I would like to urge everyone to stop thinking for yourselves. It's a waste of time. Because why think? Microsoft will do it for you.
Why? Because as Microsoft had implied, it was time to move on, and so I have.
See? There is no need to think. Microsoft said to move on, so you should. I mean, really - they know better than you. So be quiet.

I'm really tired of Windows 7 people (including and especially the press) complaining about Windows 8. Get over it! Windows 7- is history and Windows 8+ is the future. Period, that's it, that's all!
People, people, do not read any article that says Windows 8 works, but it's schizophrenic. That it's half finger-flipping touch screen tiles, half real PC, desktop and all. Ignore your IT departments. Ignore serious journalists. Ignore everyone who disagrees. Especially anyone who says: It needs to be fixed.

Instead, seek out people who love Windows 8. Read what they say. I know, they're hard to find. But they do exist. And they're smart. But only read what they say - no other opinions. Promise?

Nuspieds - please. No need to blow an artery in your forehead. Calm down. And the way to do that? Is to stop reading. Stop. Because you if you do open magazines, newspapers, trade publications, blogs or forums all over the world, you will find many, many people who disagree with you. Who don't think a certain way because Microsoft says they should. People who really know this stuff and who care about it. And people who enjoy a good debate - rather than shutting the mouths of people who disagree.

Fact is, those opinions are not going away. And those writers, IT pros, bloggers and forum colleagues might just look at you and repeat your own words:
Get over it!

Last edited: