What's new

Disable Connected Standby

drsqueggy

Hey guys, as far as I'm aware power profiles including the high performance power profile have been removed to add the connected standby feature. Is there anyway to disable connected standby to allow the power profiles to work like previous Surfaces?

I picked up the SP3 i5 256gb yesterday and I'm very underwhelmed by the performance of the device. I've been playing Grid 2 and its performing worse than my SP1 did, I'm guessing its because of the throttling.

OP
D

drsqueggy

Will the high performance power profile return then? Also, what's the deal with the graphics driver? Can I download the latest one from Intels site and bypass the tweaked one for Surface?

OP
D

drsqueggy

yes

yes

I hope that you don't come back complaining about poor battery life.

The battery is holding up pretty well to be honest, better than I thought it would. I've also been benchmarking the crap out of the thing. The Intel driver has far far better performance than the factory one and the extra battery drain is minimal.

graye

When I tried that registry key, it also disabled the traditional S3 sleep mode. So, for example, on the menu I had "shutdown, logout, restart"... with no sleep in the menu at all.

Is there a way to disable just the new Connected Standby without also disabling traditional S3 sleep?

phositadc

When I tried that registry key, it also disabled the traditional S3 sleep mode. So, for example, on the menu I had "shutdown, logout, restart"... with no sleep in the menu at all.

Is there a way to disable just the new Connected Standby without also disabling traditional S3 sleep?

Unfortunately I think the answer is no.

I also prefer tradition sleep. With every laptop I've owned over the past 5 years or so, I would lose like 0.1% per hour or so while on tradition sleep.

On the Surface, it's more like 0.3 to 0.5% per hour. For instance, according to a sleepstudy, yesterday I lost 11% in 19 hours. That's too high. I should be able to take my laptop or SP3 on vacation, and if I'm not using it, should be able to pop it open after 3 or 4 days and still have 90% or more battery remaining. At the 11% per 19 hours rate, my SP3 would be down to 50% after zero use in 3 or 4 days. That's unacceptable.

I hope yesterday's stats were unusually bad, because I'm not sure I can live with that.

Also, for the record, I have zero apps that give notifications, and I have notifications turned off anyways. So there's absolutely nothing that should have been keep the SP3 awake and active long enough for it to lose 11% in 19 hours of sleep....

ctitanic

No.