What's new

Disable discrete GPU?

kundas1

because there is better solutions instead of disabling the dGPU, its like buying a fast car with nice turbo and then asking the dealer to disable the turbo :rolleyes: also battery life and heating issue will sort itself out when win 10 doesn't have so many bugs! just need a couple of more updates and then it will be all good...

ikjadoon

That doesn't disable the dGPU, its frame buffer is still in tact and is still drawing power along the PCIe Bus, etc.

Err, I think the dGPU is by default off. See this video and Anandtech's description:

The first demonstration was an open testbed notebook motherboard using engineering sample hardware. This definitely wasn't the sort of system you run at home, since there was a notebook LCD connected via a standard notebook power/video cable to the motherboard, exposed hardware, etc. The main purpose was to demonstrate how quickly the GPU turns on/off, as well as the fact that the GPU is really OFF. NVIDIA started by booting up Win7, at which point the mobile GPU is off. A small LED on the GPU board would light up when the GPU was on, and the fans would also spin. After Windows finished loading, NVIDIA fired up a simple app on the IGP and nothing changed. Next they started a 3D app and the GPU LED/fan powered up as the application launched; when they shut down the application, the LED/fan powered back off. At one point, with the GPU powered off, NVIDIA removed the GPU module from the system and disconnected its fan; they again loaded a simple application to demonstrate that the system is still fully functional and running of the IGP. (Had they chosen to launch a 3D application at this point, the system would have obviously crashed.) So yes, the GPU in an Optimus laptop is really powered down completely when it's not needed.

It doesn't "disable" the dGPU, but just makes sure it doesn't turn on.

From all the threads we've seen so far about bugs, I think there are about 100 different reasons why you would want to disable it (besides any power or heat concerns even come into play).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Err, I think the dGPU is by default off. See this video and Anandtech's description:

It doesn't "disable" the dGPU, but just makes sure it doesn't turn on.

From all the threads we've seen so far about bugs, I think there are about 100 different reasons why you would want to disable it (besides any power or heat concerns even come into play).
That is info from over 5 years ago....Optimus was a different beast....