What's new

Display Driver Crashing

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not limited to m3s and i5s are not exempt, it's not limited to Edge. I think at this point, there's no point in chasing ghosts and phantom fixes. The ball is in Microsoft's court to issue a fix and we'll jut have to wait for it, or not.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet but at the moment I have two and they both behave exactly the same.

Display driver crashes,
Audio pops out of the blue for no reason.
Touchscreen stops working until reboot, and the pen also.
There's a wifi problem which seem to have fixed with a reg hack mentioned on another thread.

Last edited:

leeshor

There are so many threads on this! I'm now supporting 3, soon to be 4 SP4s. None are having graphics crashes. I configured all 3 of the ones in service, including mine.

There are a few things they all have in common. None are using Edge and the Edge background task is off. None are using Hello, (something mentioned in one of these threads), all have every possible stock patch and update installed. In other words, none are using the Intel specific driver.

There are a few other things they have in common including a few privacy setting adjustments but those are the things that seem to be common to the crashes. And I don't think it's enough to just not use Edge as it is listed as a background process even if not executed.

It still could be an issue with the driver but I feel it's a conflict that needs to be resolved and may be both the driver and Edge, and maybe even Hello.

I guess I could turn the background task back on as a test but I don't want to mess with a good thing.

bsnguy

Also happens with Thunderbird (on multiple sites). Just sayin'... Not sure why Hello should matter as it should not be doing anything when the system is being used (and it crashes for me not immediately after logging in... )

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This what I mean by ghosts and phantom fixes, stuff that's not really dong anything but passes time until it happens again. Carry a bucket of water around the block, if that doesnt fix it make two laps. :D

EMINENT

I installed Firefox and having Hello on and not disabling Edge, I have not experienced any hue changes or display driver crashes through my brief 1-2 hours of just browsing.

Prior to that on Edge, yes it was happening. So, I think it's an Edge or combo Edge+Hello thing. Disabling Hello is not an option. I upgraded primarily for the feature.

Either way, I don't mind using FF as add-ons are available. Until Edge gets extensions, it's not a big enough concern for me to have it working as it should.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can go half a day or more without a display driver crash then I may get two in thirty minutes.

I'm not using Edge at all nor is it in the background.
I am using IE with Tracking Protection lists Easy list, Easy Privacy, Stop Google Tracking.
I have no additional software installed, it's plain vanilla as you can get. no notifications, no live tiles, no Cortana, no keeping wifi connected. Pretty much, if there's an option to turn something off I did.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When I extend my monitor onto my older 30Hz 4K Dell Monitor I get crashes quite often, otherwise it appears to be related to HTML5 Video Ads

leeshor

When I extend my monitor onto my older 30Hz 4K Dell Monitor I get crashes quite often, otherwise it appears to be related to HTML5 Video Ads
That would (at least partially) explain why I haven't had one crash yet. I'm using Firefox with AdblockPlus and don't even see those except on a few sites white listed.

MMU

It's not limited to m3s and i5s are not exempt, it's not limited to Edge. I think at this point, there's no point in chasing ghosts and phantom fixes. The ball is in Microsoft's court to issue a fix and we'll jut have to wait for it, or not.

I have SP4 8gb ram 256gd SSD and haven't done anything to it other than normal stuff almost everyone might do. Hardly added any software to it yet but my SP4 has the same issues you describe.

Display driver crashes,

This happens quite a lot, fortunately it doesn't take the computer down with it. It does seem to be happening less often in the last 2 or 3 days but it still happens.

Audio pops out of the blue for no reason.

If you're talking about a single sharp "pop" noise for no apparent reason, yup, I've heard about 15 of those. It does seem to be happening less often recently.

Touchscreen stops working until reboot, and the pen also.

Yep, mine does this as well and it's the most frustrating one of the bunch. Again, it does appear to be happening less often recently but it still happens. Oops, right when I was using the Touchscreen to type "still happens" the display driver crashed four times in a period of one minute. Fortunately, none were fatal. Now my shift keys turn blue instead of white when activated. Go figure.

There's a wifi problem which seem to have fixed with a reg hack mentioned on another thread.

I'm not sure what wi-fi problem you've had but I often need to click the network name and tell it to connect when it should be doing it automatically.

I've also had trouble using Google to search. It lets me type in the box but then when I hit "enter" or click on the on-screen Google search magnifying glass nothing happens. Sometimes I will need to close and re-open Google in a new window 5 or 6 times and then, all of a sudden, Google works normally.

I feel MS released the SP4/Win 10 prematurely. I don't have the time to fix all these glitches. I wish it were not so, but it is.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure what wi-fi problem you've had but I often need to click the network name and tell it to connect when it should be doing it automatically.

I've also had trouble using Google to search. It lets me type in the box but then when I hit "enter" or click on the on-screen Google search magnifying glass nothing happens. Sometimes I will need to close and re-open Google in a new window 5 or 6 times and then, all of a sudden, Google works normally.
You are probably having the same issue.. particularly with 5gz wifi. Try this fix

users have reported that when connected to Wi-Fi, web pages do not load, and the connection keeps getting disconnected. It also shows "limited" connectivity. For some, this leads to continuous power consumption, reducing the battery life of the device.​
  1. Run Regedit.
  2. Navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\mrvlpcie8897
  3. Find the item labeled "TXAMSDU." modify the value from 1 to 0
  4. Restart the machine
The issue is specific to MAC layer aggregation (AMSDU over AMPDU) and only impacts a small subset of access points. We are working on a fix for an upcoming update. Until the fix is available, please update the registry key setting to work around this issue."

MMU

I feel stupid but I can't figure out how to get to the command line in Win10 in order to try the regedit. Just spent 15 minutes looking around and clicking on icons that have no pop-up explanation when I hover the cursor over them.

It must be Microsoft's way of telling me I'm too stupid to edit my registry, LOL!