What's new

Do you use Metro or Desktop?

Do you use metro or desktop

• Total voters

Liam2349

Yea Metro is pretty useless in its current state. This is a full PC yet metro apps are so limited and stupid.

There is not one app that approaches the same functionality as desktop apps except for stupid apps. Even OneNote the flagship app is missing most of the functionality of the desktop app.

So yes it is a failure that's why Ballmer and a lot of others are no longer there.

Will they fix it in 9 who knows but possibly, by putting the start menu back and defaulting to the desktop

I agree with the features. The desktop version of OneNote allows you so much more functionality than the Metro version, but how do you condense it all into Metro? That's the challenge, and I hope they can figure it out.

OneNote 2013 is very touch friendly though, they could just put that into Metro really.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OneNote MUI is still in its early stage and they've added much more functionality in the last update, once Office 2015 offers a full MUI Suite I'm sure we'll see much more functionality....

Here is an example of an MUI Outshining a traditional desktop application...

I've used PDF Annotator since version 1 but it is pricy and hasn't supported Touch very well, I've completely abandoned it for DrawboardPDF which is much less expensive and offers more functionality....

pcom

I'm with some of the others that say "both" -- it really depends on what I'm doing. I use the Mail app almost exclusively (and this is coming from a dyed-in-the-wool Alpine guy). I have my Exchange account, a couple of my IMAP accounts and my Outlook.com account all there. Occasionally I'll hop back to Outlook or Alpine to do something tricky but, for the most part, I'm happy with Mail. Same is true for catching up on news or finance. Metro just handles the screen resolution better, IMHO. I now find myself actively LOOKING for Metro apps to do more of my work in.

Desktop is almost exclusively for Chrome or Firefox. Occasionally I'll actually interact with J River Media Center, Sonos or one of the other apps. If I could find a good SSH and VNC Metro app, I'd be all set!

Don't get me wrong, the Metro apps are FAR from perfect but, overall, I prefer them when they provide sufficient function.

Deryl McCarty

In my case the answer is all the above. If games (board, card and spellit games) then MUI. Anything else is desk top. I haven't done a good job learning to live with outlook and one note on the MUI, but Excel, Access, Word and Publisher are Desktop. Probably I am weird. Ah well.