What's new

Do you use Metro or Desktop?

Do you use metro or desktop

• Total voters

ctitanic

Metro to me feels like MS trying to change my behavior by removing options and ramming a new paradigm down my throat rather than listening to me and building the interface I want.
And what would be that interface? With a clustered useless start menu tied to a Start button?
Anyway, the most important thing is that after 20 years of no major changes MS decided to do something about. The bad news if that most users get scared of changes and that has forced MS to undo some of the changes instead of keep innovating toward a new MUI.

ctitanic

It seems with Metro that everything takes an extra step. Hate extra steps. Also, I'm a menu guy, not a (pointlessly) animated giant icon guy. Metro feels like it was designed for those attracted to bright shiny things and not professionals in a hurry to get things done. I mean Metro is fine on a phone or small tablet where desktop makes no sense, but on a 12 slab? Desktop. YMMV.
I don't feel on that way. Lets take posting in Facebook about a page, slide your finger from right to left, click share, pick facebook, write your note and click send. All without leaving the original page.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Just open your mind to changes. ;):cool:

Change I'm open to, stupid change I'm not. The marketplace has voted and Metro is a failure. Hopefully MS will fix it in Windows 9. Give me one customizable menu to a page full of pretty icons anyday. The funny part is that MS actually "focus tested" Windows 7 and decided that no one actually used the Start Button - seriously? Lol, I'd love to see the group of stoners they got together for THAT focus group.

Metro, cool for phones, ridiculous for PC's.

TheCudder

I hate when people complain about others being stuck in there old ways and not being willing to accept change when it comes to Windows 8.x. The fact that Windows had a dramatic UX change is not the issue, its the fact that the changes aren't intuitive and simply don't make sense. You have multiple hidden navigational menu's, settings which are accessible in the control panel while others are in the settings section of the [silly] charms bar and then you have awkward and out of place looking "right click" context menu's for the start button and metro icons. Windows 8 was a good idea, but poorly executed. From the poorly designed overall user experience to the childish looking UI design. The circus looking start screen backgrounds and bright colors HAVE to go.

I use both the modern and desktop --- one for productivity, the other for [tablet] consumption..

Last edited:

ctitanic

Change I'm open to, stupid change I'm not. The marketplace has voted and Metro is a failure. Hopefully MS will fix it in Windows 9. Give me one customizable menu to a page full of pretty icons anyday. The funny part is that MS actually "focus tested" Windows 7 and decided that no one actually used the Start Button - seriously? Lol, I'd love to see the group of stoners they got together for THAT focus group.

Metro, cool for phones, ridiculous for PC's.
Metro is essential for Tablet users. I don't see the use in a Desktop and that is the major change communing with Windows 9. The 0S will detect the hardware and configure itself accordently.

ctitanic

I hate when people complain about others being stuck in there old ways and not being willing to accept change when it comes to Windows 8.x. The fact that Windows had a dramatic UX change is not the issue, its the fact that the changes aren't intuitive and simply don't make sense. You have multiple hidden navigational menu's, settings which are accessible in the control panel while others are in the settings section of the [silly] charms bar and then you have awkward and out of place looking "right click" context menu's for the start button and metro icons. Windows 8 was a good idea, but poorly executed. From the poorly designed overall user experience to the childish looking UI design. The circus looking start screen backgrounds and bright colors HAVE to go.

I use both the modern and desktop --- one for productivity, the other for [tablet] consumption..
I agree with you partially. The major problem with Windows 8.1 is the lack of consistence across the board.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I see most people who post here (with screenshots at least) are using the SP3 in desktop mode.

Which do you use?

I like the metro screen myself and only use desktop when I need to run a program that is desktop specific.
You need a 3rd choice, Both....

It depends on what I'm doing, for personal use or when on battery, I use the MUI predominately and professionally I use desktop applications (Office 2013 Pro Plus) and MUI Apps (DrawboardPDF)....

Any OS is a toolbox and we should use the tool that best works for the job....

cdf3

I use Desktop most of the time, but use Metro as if it's a custom Start Menu.
I can quickly jump to my favorite apps and websites.
I like being able to add a website as an app (Internet Explorer > Settings > Add site to apps).
I've added the Surface Pro 3 forum as an app. I can navigate and read various posts.
When I want to go back to the home page of the Surface Pro 3 forum, I click on the icon in the upper left corner, next to the navigation arrows in IE. I do this for quite a few sites.