What's new

Does Microsoft match order information with service tag?

Systern

Hello,

To make this story short.

I orderd a Surface pro 2 this week and got it today, i got the "old" CPU. I know that the difference is not that big but if I as s student pay that much I wanted the latest, it will also be easier to sell later on.

The customer support says that he can return mine SP2 and send me a new one but there is no garantuee that it will have the new CPU.

I maybe thought that I would go to a local store, buy a SP2 with a new CPU, get the recipe and a day later return the one with old CPU. So the question I have is, if I need to contact Microsoft support due to a problem, can they see my "service tag" or serial nr because I have orderd directly from them, I do not want them to decline me support.

Thanks for your help!

benjitek

You'd wind up with a mess, eventually they'd figure out the serial numbers don't match. I returned 3 of them, each time being promised I'd get the new CPU. I wound up ordering the 512gb model from Best Buy online, and got the new one, finally. The only plus side to all that waiting, repackaging, returning is that I got 8 years of 200gb of OneDrive (SkyDrive) :)

OP
S

Systern

The Serialnr is NOT matched with your order. So I will go to the local store, buy a SF2 and return the one I got from MS. Then I will still have the warranty from MS but with a better CPU/GPU :)1

jamesk

When you purchase it from the MS store, the receipt shows the serial number and they verify the serial number when you return or exchange the unit.

Omni

The whole returns/warranty process is based on serial numbers so I'm doubting that would work.