What's new

Don't you feel people have unfair expectations for tablets?

goodintentions

At work, I've switched completely over to the tablet instead of hauling around 20 pounds of paper specs and plans to job site. I'm an engineer. Earlier today, a few of us went to a major site for some inspection before we start up construction again after the winter months. Before, we would each haul around about 20 pounds of paper plans and specs/regulations. When we needed to look up some info, I pulled out my tablet and started loading the plans, which have several thousand pdf pages. It took about 30 seconds to load everything. There were a couple guys who complained that my "fancy machine" took too long to load the pages so they started digging through their 20 pounds of plans in their trucks. Took them like 10 minutes to find what we were looking for while it took me like 30 seconds to load and do a search.

And yet, later in the day when we talked about it with some other colleagues, those same guys who took forever to dig through their 20 pounds of paper plans complained that it took my surface too long to load up the document.

Sometimes, don't you feel that people just hate new technology just cuz? They complain that 30 seconds to load a pdf document and do a search is too long, but it takes them like 10 minutes to dig through their thousands of paper pages to look up the same info.

When do you think people will lose their disdain of new technology?

benjitek

[BLAH BLAH BLAH]...When do you think people will lose their disdain of new technology?
Sounds like you work with some negative people? At my work people are impressed with both the Surface Pro 2 and the iPads that are in use. At least they were initially -- now we just use them like we would a stapler. They're tools, and each is better at some things than the other. Maybe you just had a bad day at work and a meaningless comment seemed topic-worthy?

OP
G

goodintentions

Well, this may be a surprise to you, but a lot of engineers are not tech oriented. I know of a couple old guys that will not accept any report that isn't hand-written. They believe a report is more genuine when it is hand-written. Same with some calculations that we do. I know this one guy up high that won't accept any spreadsheet. He's consistently called such work "fake report". But then again, they've been doing this for like 40 years.

And no, I didn't have a bad day at work. I'm just puzzled at how resistant people are to new tech sometimes.

CrippsCorner

Yup this is often found but usually they come round. You can even say the same for me in some regards lol... for instance we're meant to be moving over to a spreadsheet for logging service reports we do on machines, but tbh it's so much simpler and easier just to write it down. I haven't bothered moving over yet, maybe eventually!

be77solo

At work, I've switched completely over to the tablet instead of hauling around 20 pounds of paper specs and plans to job site. I'm an engineer. Earlier today, a few of us went to a major site for some inspection before we start up construction again after the winter months. Before, we would each haul around about 20 pounds of paper plans and specs/regulations. When we needed to look up some info, I pulled out my tablet and started loading the plans, which have several thousand pdf pages. It took about 30 seconds to load everything. There were a couple guys who complained that my "fancy machine" took too long to load the pages so they started digging through their 20 pounds of plans in their trucks. Took them like 10 minutes to find what we were looking for while it took me like 30 seconds to load and do a search.

And yet, later in the day when we talked about it with some other colleagues, those same guys who took forever to dig through their 20 pounds of paper plans complained that it took my surface too long to load up the document.

Sometimes, don't you feel that people just hate new technology just cuz? They complain that 30 seconds to load a pdf document and do a search is too long, but it takes them like 10 minutes to dig through their thousands of paper pages to look up the same info.

When do you think people will lose their disdain of new technology?
Working in the Construction Industry, I run into similar colleagues... most are coming around but many still struggle to adapt. Honestly, it's only a matter of time however until digital is the new normal. SP2 works great, especially when the digital pen is added to the equation... I am finally able to leave a backseat full of full size architectural plans in the office!

It's always been [BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH]that way -- thanks though for stopping by ;-)
Why bother posting if you have absolutely zero to add to the discussion?

Last edited:

benjitek

[BLAH BLAH BLAH]...Why bother posting if you have absolutely zero to add to the discussion?
Just because it's 'zero' to you doesn't define it as nothing -- perhaps to you. Just post your contribution and stop worrying about what others have to say. If you attempt to define a discussion, especially one you didn't start, then it isn't one ;-)

Last edited: