What's new

External Battery Pack Option

Russ

How much additional time would this battery give? Would it effectively double the time you could be away from a power outlet?

Riggi --

Anything around 20,000mAH will approximately double your usage time. (I forget exactly what the Pro battery is, but somebody here knows.) I used an 18,000mAH in the rig I made for my Ladyfriend. Picture and details here: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro/4512-external-battery-pack-option.html

Several people here have played around with combinations like that, so if you have any questions, just ask.

Regards,
Russ

Russ

Has anyone tried the Intocircuit Power Castle Series PC26000 26000 mHa battery pack for their Surface Pro?

dc5, et al --

I now have one. Earlier, I bought an 18000mAH battery from Energizer for my Ladyfriend. Since the Intocircuit battery is 26000 mAH, I decided to get that for her, and keep the Energizer battery for myself. There is one thing I really don't like about it. The Energizer battery has three different receptacles (using different connectors) for the different voltage levels. The Intocircuit battery has one receptacle and a slide switch to choose voltage level.
Battery01.png

That is just trouble waiting to happen. After being jostled and handled, that slide switch is bound to move, even though it is recessed, and, sooner or later, the Pro gets a 19V jolt. (Yeah, I know, one should pay attention, but after 18 hours of flying, that can be hard to do.)

If I do give her the larger battery, I will block that switch so it can't move, and then put a piece of tape over that.

Anyhow, just FYI.

Regards,
Russ

Last edited:

malberttoo

Nice post Russ, I think I'll get one of those. How difficult was it for you to make the cable with the Surface Pro charging plug? What parts did you use?

Russ

How difficult was it for you to make the cable with the Surface Pro charging plug? What parts did you use?

Michael --

All things are relative. :) I didn't think it was difficult at all, but I've done a lot of this stuff before, and I'm pretty handy with wire strippers and a soldering iron.

I began this project originally by purchasing two cheap RT auto chargers on eBay, just to get the Surface power connectors. The first project (the Energizer, posted previously in this thread) was easy, because I found a connector in my collection that perfectly fit the 12V output on the Energizer battery. Then it was just a matter of clipping the connector off the RT charger, some stripping and soldering (and a little shrink tubing) and it was done.

Both the Energizer battery and the Intocircuit came with a wide array of connectors, most of which I now have no use for, so they just go into my collection.

Again, I found a connector that fit the output receptacle on the Intocircuit battery, so it was just more wire stripping and soldering. There are only two wires to deal with -- the positive and the negative. Once you have those established, the rest is just mechanics. If you have any detailed questions, just post them. There are a few of us here who have done this sort of thing already.

Take care,
Russ

malberttoo

I am not good with a soldering iron, but have a couple buddies that are!

So if I wanted to get that same external battery as you did, then I'd need to find a cheap adapter of some kind that's made for the S Pro, so that the end can be cut off of it. What about the end that plugs into the battery pack? Available somewhere online, or...?

Thanks for the info.

Russ

I'd need to find a cheap adapter of some kind that's made for the S Pro, so that the end can be cut off of it. What about the end that plugs into the battery pack? Available somewhere online, or...?

Michael --

The Surface RT & Pro use the same connector, but the easier solution might be to get this cable from MikeGyver.com. Scroll down to "Surface Cable." That cable will plug directly into the Intocircuit battery. $29.95 is a little pricey for just a cable, but it is a simple solution.

Regards,
Russ

Russ

Will that pro adapter plug from Mike MacGyver work with this battery that is linked.

Tony --

That will work perfectly. MikeGyver uses the Intocircuit battery. I often opt for the "homegrown" solution, because I have a box (actually two) full of AC & DC adapters, with probably every connector known to man. Gadgets die, but adapters seldom do, so I always save them, and I can "mix and match" for stuff like this. Usually, I save a little money and have some fun in the process. My late Wife used to say that I did it just to prove that I could, but what did she know? :)

Take care,
Russ

tonyz3

Russ,
she probably also told you to sand and stain that coffee table.:wink:

Yeah i am a wood guy. tons of tools but not into experimenting with Elect (my current todo list is too long already) so the MacM solution will do for me...... THX

tonyz3

Amazon has consistently listed the "Intocircuit Power Castle Series PC26000" as available for $109.99. However, today it looks like its increased to $119.99. Rakuten (a.k.a. buy.com) had this exact battery pack on sale for $89.99 a few weeks ago. I missed my opportunity to grab one at that great price.

This pack looks suspiciously like the same unit albeit a bit smaller capacity (20000 vs. 26000). Currently at $89.99. Amazon.com: Anker Astro Pro2 20000mAh Multi-voltage External Battery Pack for Portable Devises and Cell Phones: Kindle Store
Russ do you recommend going with the the PC26000 for the extra $30 or will the Anker suffice.

Russ

Russ, she probably also told you to sand and stain that coffee table.

Tony --

Well, . . . , she did as a matter of fact. It was supposed to have been done in conjunction with our move to here, but I didn't get it done, and the likelihood of my doing it just for me is not good. A couple of times I noticed my Ladyfriend kinda scratching it with her fingernail and frowning, but she was too polite to say anything -- so far, at least.

The Elex tinkering is just for fun, but wood is my real love. My all-time favorite work was a jewelry box I made for my Wife. As a woodworker, you may find it interesting: Jewelry Box

I still build things occasionally, mostly for Ladyfriend, but do not expect I will ever again equal that.

Take care,

Russ