What's new

External Battery Pack Option

Cambo

My battery pack from mikegyver arrived and so far I am very impressed.very nice packaging a bunch of different connectors and plug adaptors.also charges pretty fast.the battery its self is pretty styly too

mph

Hey guys,

i guess this isn't 100% topic related but i must ask this:

did anyone find out wether the surface pro will use the built-in battery pack when it is fully charged an connected to the external charger?
since continously loading a battery pack seems to hurt long-term battery life.

Russ

whether the surface pro will use the built-in battery pack when it is fully charged an connected to the external charger?

mph --

I did a small experiment with that. I connected the Pro to an external battery, set everything to Never/Never and left it running. It depleted the external battery first, then switched to its internal battery. Hope that answers your question.

Regards,
Russ

mph

Hey Russ,

i'd consider it a hit that the surface has sort of intelligent power system. it doesnt realy proof that the power coming from your external battery pack isnt running through the acutaua built-in pack, does it?

it rather proves that as long as the external power source exists the surface uses it to draw energy from it. if it by then "chargews" the builtin isnt proven.

hope you a) understood my post (writing english is by far harder than listening to it :)) and b) didnt make a complete fool of myself since i'm not the electronic engineering mastermind (mehanical engineering FTW)

Russ

it doesnt realy proof that the power coming from your external battery pack isnt running through the acutaua built-in pack, does it?

mph --

I'm not sure what it proves. The message on the battery icon on the desktop read "Plugged in but not charging." To me, that indicated that the Pro was drawing its power from the external source first, as proved to be the case when the external battery discharged first. That is an important sequence. I built that battery pack for my Ladyfriend to use in her travels, especially long flights (Atlanta/Shanghai). That means she can use up the external battery and still have the fully portable Pro with a full charge.

Don't worry about your English. You manage to convey your point quite well. Besides, I am accustomed to it. Sometimes my Ladyfriend will apologize for her English, and I usually say, "Ok, Babe. We can use your English or my Mandarin." Since that is not a choice at all, we proceed in English.

As to being an "electronic engineering mastermind," don't worry about that either. Most of us, certainly not me, are not either. Fortunately for all of us, there are a couple of guys here who are, and they are always willing to help.

I have since assembled an external battery pack for my Pro, so if there is something I could try that would further your inquiry, just let me know. I'm always eager to learn, too.

Take care,
Russ

mph

Hey Russ,

we could try Mandarin, so wie have sort of the same basis ;)

The whole point of the question for me is to deduce, whether it hurts the long-term usability of the internal battery pack. since it's almost impossible to replace it.

if anyone of the electronics geeks happen to know how exactly the surface handles external power sources it would be nice to know.
after nuspieds odysee concering displayport 1.2 i hesitate to contact MS directly :)

bjornb

Its hard to find out for sure for us on the 'outside'.
When I created/adapted my external pack for the Pro I was interested in the maximum input voltage the Pro tolerates.
By looking at the Ifixit teardown I found the battery management/charging circuitry, step 19:
Microsoft Surface Pro Teardown - Page 3 - iFixit

The second picture shows a battery management IC - bq30z55, specs if you want something to read :):
http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/sluu516/sluu516.pdf
http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/sluu852/sluu852.pdf

Russ

The whole point of the question for me is to deduce, whether it hurts the long-term usability of the internal battery pack. . . . how exactly the surface handles external power sources it would be nice to know.

mph --

Still not sure where you're going with this. The links provided by bjornb will be instructive. Bjornb and I were building our external battery packs at the same time, and I learned a lot from him. Another good source is Wayne, but he is probably off somewhere on his motorcycle for the holiday weekend. This post by him was instructive: Warning to Experimenters
-- Look for post by Wayne Orwig.

What exactly is your concern -- are you looking at an external battery pack or 3rd party chargers.

Regards,
Russ

J515OP

Super Moderator
Hey Russ,

we could try Mandarin, so wie have sort of the same basis ;)

The whole point of the question for me is to deduce, whether it hurts the long-term usability of the internal battery pack. since it's almost impossible to replace it.

if anyone of the electronics geeks happen to know how exactly the surface handles external power sources it would be nice to know.
after nuspieds odysee concering displayport 1.2 i hesitate to contact MS directly :)

mph, I think I understand the question and the answer is don't worry about it. The battery has a certain number of cycles it will last and then no more. Fortunately the number of cycles should be enough for years of battery use and the odds are the hardware will be old slow and in need of replacement before the battery gives out on you. Here are a couple of threads on the topic and various view points. http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro/3588-battery-question.html and http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...n/3446-serious-battery-capacity-decrease.html.

The bottom line is there is no significant evidence of battery deterioration from using it while plugged in. I seriously doubt the battery is not being bypassed in some way when running on external power. In fact it was talked about in one of the threads that the Surface pulls less power when the battery is full than when it is low. So when it is low it is pulling some power to charge and some to run on and when full just to run on. This shows the ability to provide direct power.

The bottom line is the device will have an expiration date that is likely before the life of the battery regardless of your use (not abuse though). Just go ahead and use it how you want without worrying about the battery/charger.

Russ

The bottom line is the device will have an expiration date that is likely before the life of the battery . . .

JP --

Oh, yeah? But what about the life of me? Some of us are older than you, ya know.

Thanks, JP. I think you got to the crux of the issue.

Take care,
Russ

Wayne Orwig

On any of the chargers that I have, the battery voltage and charge percentage rise to 100% even as my Surface Pro is being used. Obviously, it is not 'pulling' any power from the battery, whenever there is any charger attached. And the lithium battery and surrounding electronics is smart enough to NEVER over charge. If it did, you would hear about fires and explosions.

If you do what you can to keep the unit on a charger (battery charged), it should be good for about 5 years. It will be shortened if you deep cycle it often, or if it gets HOT. The heat worries me the most.

Last edited: