What's new

‘Extremely popular’ Surface Pro 2, Surface 2 sold out at retailers

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
bgr-surface-2-surface-pro-2-12.jpg

Microsoft’s Surface Pro 2 and Surface 2 tablets are selling very well, according to Mashable‘s checks with various retailers where the devices are sold out with just over a week to go until Christmas. It’s unclear whether Microsoft built smaller quantities of tablets and might be manufacturing the sellouts, or whether the company is actually enjoying a hot streak with Surface Pro 2 and Surface 2 sales.

Either model is listed as “sold out” on Microsoft’s online store, no matter which configuration buyers try to purchase. The same goes for Walmart’s online store and Best Buy’s retail stores – interestingly though, Best Buy’s website shows the devices as available. According to a Best Buy salesperson in New York City, the new Surface tablet is “extremely popular” with shoppers, although no actual sales numbers were provided by the stores. Amazon, on the other hand, still has Surface Pro 2 and Surface 2 units for sale, although stock is limited.

Interestingly, Microsoft is not willing to reveal sales numbers for its new Surface tablets. “With regards to specific inventory levels or sales numbers we don’t comment on those specific figures,” Microsoft Surface senior manager Ben Reed told Mashable. “I would say that it’s our goal to get these two tablets into as many people’s hands as possible, and we’re actively working with manufacturing teams and retail partners to replenish stock where it’s been sold out as soon as possible.”

Continue Reading @: Surface Pro 2, Surface 2 sold out with many retailers ahead of Christmas | BGR

oion

Amazon, on the other hand, still has Surface Pro 2 and Surface 2 units for sale, although stock is limited.

Clarification (on the article): Amazon was never an authorized Microsoft vendor, so they don't have stock. All of those units listed on Amazon are through third parties that bought tablets to resell at higher prices, even those units listed as available for Prime shipping (fulfillment).

"Microsoft - Surface 2 with 32GB - Magnesium" = $649.99 through uShopMall on Amazon, versus retail price $449.00.

"Microsoft - Surface Pro 2 with 128GB - Dark Titanium" = $1,123.99 through Voltage Converter Store on Amazon, versus retail price $999.00.

The markups aren't insignificant, which is why I never recommend Amazon as a Surface source to anyone, but I can see the third party resellers being a last-ditch option for people who were late to the party and desperate for xmas goodies---what the heck, Microsoft, talk about bad timing.

We do know from MarketWatch that the Surface RT was #1 on Black Friday at Best Buy (not sure about Staples etc.), so perhaps that low-lying social buzz has been making the rounds.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Thanks for the heads-up. The above article was just a copy and paste from BGR, and they apparently didn't' have their facts completely straight. I didn't catch it, and I appreciate you sharing the updated info. I tend to fact check my own stories a bit better, but I was swamped and just wanted to share this with you guys quickly, thus I used BGR's story.

EMINENT

Thanks for the heads-up. The above article was just a copy and paste from BGR, and they apparently didn't' have their facts completely straight. I didn't catch it, and I appreciate you sharing the updated info. I tend to fact check my own stories a bit better, but I was swamped and just wanted to share this with you guys quickly, thus I used BGR's story.

I would totally ditch BGR as a reputable source. Lately, most of their headlines are anti-MS and I can tell they're trying desperately to get traffic to their site. Do yourselves a favor. I deleted them from Weave and Pulse for good.